Talk

Advanced search

Lump on lower eyelid

(9 Posts)
pandaobsessed Tue 28-Jan-20 20:14:48

I've had a red lump on my lower lash line for nearly two months now. I was just wondering if anyone knew what it was and how I can treat it? (I'm due to see optician on Saturday - GP said to see them).

It hasn't caused me any trouble in terms of pain / discomfort. Now and again it does develop a head (like a spot) and soon after that pops. I do wear contact lenses, but don't think it has anything to do with that.

Pic attached.

OP’s posts: |
HappyHammy Tue 28-Jan-20 20:16:23

Is it a stye or an infected lash follicle

underneaththeash Tue 28-Jan-20 20:21:36

I can't see it well enough to comment. Optician is definitely the way to go, we have a special microscope to see lesions properly.

FfionFlorist Wed 29-Jan-20 11:23:27

A chalazion. Harmless and will go after about 4 weeks

underneaththeash Wed 29-Jan-20 19:06:52

@FfionFlorist - why would you post that when it's impossible to see clearly and the OP has already said that it's been there for 2 months?

Its's really not a good idea to post on health topics if you don't know what you're talking about, especially when it's a longstanding lesion.

iklboo Wed 29-Jan-20 19:09:00

It could be a stye but you're doing the right thing in getting an optician to take a look for you.

Old wives' tale - rub a stye with your or your mother's wedding ring and it will go away (not tested myself but mum swears by it).

AlexaAmbidextra Thu 30-Jan-20 15:03:46

A chalazion. Harmless and will go after about 4 weeks

Not necessarily. I had to have one cut out.

buckleten Thu 30-Jan-20 15:05:31

chalazions don't go away in my experience, I have had three cut out! Hot damp eye compresses may help if it is just a stye..

CrocodilesCry Thu 30-Jan-20 20:43:57

Looks like a chalazion - a blocked oil gland.
You may need it removing surgically but many CCGs don't do this now as they consider it to be cosmetic and they usually do go on their own, but they can take months.
Warm compresses may help it come to a head and drain.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »