Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

low iron / ferritin levels

(10 Posts)
rattyfraggle Fri 31-Aug-07 22:19:08

rattyfraggles my mum grin
i am 13 years old and have a question.

my mum has a ferritin of 8, mine is 6, sad, but we both have a red blood count of 13. we have both been told to take ferrous sulphate, but it doesn't raise the levels. my mums doctor told her it isn't hereditary, but it's odd that we both have the same results. does anybody have any information about this please.

from BAD ANGEL smile

rattyfraggle Fri 31-Aug-07 23:07:34

bump

Can I ask why you both had your levels checked - do you have symptoms of iron deficiency?

By red blood count do you mean haemaglobin or yor red blood cell volumne?

One common reason for iron deficiency is heavy periods, there can be other causes such as exposure to lead. How much ferrous sulphate do you take a day? If you've been taking it for 6 weeks and its made no difference you ought to go back to your GP. smile

cookiesandcream Sat 01-Sep-07 10:50:26

do you have thin hair or other symptoms

Christiesparks Sat 01-Sep-07 15:10:51

there's a really good natural way of getting iron called Spatone - from any health food shop or could buy from internet somewhere. It comes in satchets and contains water from a naturally iron-rich stream. My iron levels were low during pregnancy and I couldn't take the prescribed pills so found this instead and my iron levels shot back up again.

But if you're on 200mg tablets then you'd have to take 3 sachets of spatone to get the equivelent dose. So that would be 9 sachets a day.

Jackaroo Sat 01-Sep-07 17:45:08

Hate to contradict, but it's just not true Stripey - the iron in Spatone has a far higher bioavailability, so you don't need as much of it - only a tiny percentage of the iron in tablets is used by the body, hence so much of it ending up in the gut/bowel and causing such poo problems...

If you take 2 sachets a day, your body will have plenty to work with, and just take what it needs. sorry can say more but problms typing.

hth

Oh, their website says that 200mg of iron tablets = 3 sachets hmm

www.spatone.com/en.php?section=faq&id=1

I looked it up the other day as one of the midwives at work told me to be careful of recommending it to pregnant women, it really should be a last resort for those who can't tolerate the tablets. But then it looks like there's 2 levels of bio availabilty for the 200mg tablets which confused me. Are there different types of 200mg tablets?

Dior Sat 01-Sep-07 20:42:59

Message withdrawn

rattyfraggle Sat 01-Sep-07 22:00:51

thank you for your messages. i had mine checked cuz i had very bad periods and am now taking 'the pill' and am feeling a bot better. my mum has to have regular tests as she has crohns disease. she cant take the ferritin very well so she just copes with it! am i fine on the ferritin so i will take it for a bit longer. the only difference i have noticed is that before i wanted sweets and sugar all the time blush but now i dont like it any more and now i like savoury stuff - so thats better!!

thanks again
Bad Angel smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now