Talk

Advanced search

Total thyroidectomy

(9 Posts)
Mascarponeandwine Tue 28-Jan-20 19:42:20

@Doublethecuddles may I ask what your symptoms were? I have a goitre, hypothyroidism and a thyroid nodule found in 2013 but with “no suspicious features on ultrasound”. Often wondered how I’d know if it turned into cancer.

Doublethecuddles Tue 28-Jan-20 14:38:01

Yes I did as I had a FNA in one of my lymph nodes and it can back positive for papillary cancer. In the end I had 31 lymph nodes removed, 20 of which were cancerous. I asked the surgeon how he knew that they were cancerous and apparently some of them had turned black!
I ended up with a bilateral neck dissection with my thyroid being removed.

rosieposie2 Tue 28-Jan-20 13:57:16

@doublethecuddles

Did you know before surgery they were going to take out lymph nodes?

OP’s posts: |
JolieOBrien Tue 28-Jan-20 12:32:08

@rosieposie2

I would join Thyroid UK Health unlocked if I was you. There are a lot of people who have had their thyroid removed on there and they will help and advise you.

Doublethecuddles Tue 28-Jan-20 12:30:33

I had my thyroid and quite a few lymph nodes removed last year. I was in hospital for 2 nights. For the first couple of weeks I was really tired and slept most afternoons. I didn’t do any lifting and got my groceries delivered. My neck was incredibly stiff and I had very little movement in it. I ended up good night to see an osteopath who gave me my movement back.
I was off work for 4 weeks. I definitely wouldn’t have managed after 2 weeks. If you are going onto thyroxine it takes the body a while to get use it.

nancy75 Mon 27-Jan-20 21:41:17

My talking ability was hardly affected at all ( much to my husbands disappointment!)
I remember feeling absolutely fine, the only issue was not doing too much because of the stitches - my daughter was small at the time & I know I couldn’t pick her up for a few days.
I had a drain in the wound when I woke up from the op & they took that out the next day.
I worked in a shop at the time and I know I wouldn’t have had 6 weeks off, I’m sure it was more like a week

rosieposie2 Mon 27-Jan-20 20:05:17

I've been told minimum 2 night stay in hospital.

I work in retail so a bit of lifting but also on my feet all day, a lot of rushing around and a lot of talking.

nancy75 Mon 27-Jan-20 20:02:35

I had it done about 12 years ago, in hospital one night. Pretty much ok straight away from what I remember.
I’d say you would only need that long if you’re lifting stuff in your job

rosieposie2 Mon 27-Jan-20 19:53:27

Has anyone on here had a total thyroidectomy and if so how long did everyone have off work after? The nurse told me I will need at least 6 weeks off but most websites say 1-2 weeks.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in