Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

How do I get my voice back? <<croak>>;

(4 Posts)
kindersurprise Fri 31-Aug-07 20:17:14

I have had a bad cold for a few days now and can hardly speak.

Have been hoarse since Wednesday and not getting better. Any ideas?

3littlefrogs Fri 31-Aug-07 20:24:44

Rest your voice as much as possible.

Make an infusion of chopped fresh root ginger - about a tablespoonful in a mug, top up with boiling water and leave to stand until it is cool enough to drink. Add a spoonful of honey. Sip it slowly whilst inhaling the steam. You can have it 4 to 6 times a day.

Throat lozenges can help too.

Keep your neck warm, you could try rubbing some tiger balm or similar all round your neck/throat, but this is dangerous near eyes or small children's fingers.

HTH

chocolatekimmy Fri 31-Aug-07 20:56:09

I lost mine completely some years ago and I was advised to breath in steam frequently. I just poured boiling water in a mug and took several breaths in as often as I could and it did work. I didn't have to add anything to it. Be careful not to burn your lips or skin around your mouth.

kindersurprise Fri 31-Aug-07 22:21:08

Ginger, euww, brings back memories of morning sickness cure. Don't know if I could drink it, but I will try inhaling tomorrow.

Will inhale tonight before I go to bed

Thanks!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: