Talk

Advanced search

Dermatology - can you get an odd spot on face checked out privately

(9 Posts)
Lumene Mon 27-Jan-20 10:51:17

Does anyone know what the quickest option is to get a spot checked out in case it is cancerous? Have finally persuaded my sister to check out a spot she has had for months and months (only one, she’s in her 40s and generally good skin). GP is useless and she is struggling to get an appointment.

She is based in London and could pay to see a private dermatologist if needed. Is this possible/ necessary? If they discover an issue do they refer only to private doctors?

If a good idea can anyone recommend anyone in London (ideally South/Central)

Any pointers much appreciated!

OP’s posts: |
JinglingHellsBells Mon 27-Jan-20 13:59:27

It's very easy and simple to sort this.

Are you worried that this is a mole and it's skin cancer? Oris it an acne type spot?

If it's a mole I'd recommend the Mole Clinic which is just off Oxford Circus. They are very reasonable and you book online. They take a photo of the mole or spot, it's sent to a dermo and you get a written report. They also have a dr to examine it and take a history of it at your appt.

JinglingHellsBells Mon 27-Jan-20 14:00:40

If it's cancer she can go back to her GP with the diagnosis and report.

You could also try the Skin Clinic- they have branches all over incl one in Harley St.

Lumene Mon 27-Jan-20 18:21:21

Thank you this is brilliant. Sorry I missed these response. It is a small red spot but just hasn’t gone away. I will look up the skin clinic thank you.

Pinkiespalace Mon 27-Jan-20 19:47:56

Boots now provide a skin scanning service

Lumene Mon 27-Jan-20 20:09:29

Thank you Pinkie I will look into that too.

MrsSchadenfreude Mon 27-Jan-20 20:46:25

Go to GP and get referred under the 2 week wait scheme if they think it might be dodgy.

Lumene Mon 27-Jan-20 23:12:34

She would Mrs S but it takes more than 2 weeks to get an appointment apparently!

JinglingHellsBells Tue 28-Jan-20 17:01:04

@Lumene I used the Mole Clinic in London for a mole on my arm and was very pleased with them. Turns out mine was just an age spot.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »