Talk

Advanced search

Flexible sigmoidoscopy and bowel changes

(16 Posts)
Cantdothis2020 Sun 26-Jan-20 08:40:00

Back story is I’ve suffered intermittent loose stools/diarrhoea for a few months. Sometimes things are normal for weeks then I will be running to the loo again. Usually only once and nearly always an hour or so after eating. I Have had this happen very occasionally in the past but it’s happening more often now.

I kept putting off going to the docs because things cleared up and I thought I was over it but I finally went last week. Doc has arranged for a few tests which I’m waiting for results of but I have also just had a flexible sigmoidoscopy as part of the routine bowel cancer screening, just 2 days ago. The test didn’t show any problems thankfully. However, since then I seem to be worse (diarrhoea/very loose) and I’m panicking a bit.

I did take two probiotics yesterday so maybe that has upset me. Also I read that diarrhoea is not unusual for a few days after the flexi sig but why that should be the case I dont know.

I’m a very stressy and anxious person anyway and I know stress can affect your guts but this seems more than that.

Back to the docs in a few weeks but I’m starting to panic. Help.

OP’s posts: |
fuckitywhy Sun 26-Jan-20 08:43:47

I'd bet anything it's just stress and anxiety making you feel worse right now.

When I get like this I have to remind myself repeatedly:

- if there is a problem, they'll spot it and do whatever they can, there's no point worrying until then

- if there isn't then I've wasted time worrying.

Can you try to distract yourself? Try slow deep breathing and so on.

All easier said than done though I know!

stripeypillowcase Sun 26-Jan-20 08:47:11

can you

stripeypillowcase Sun 26-Jan-20 08:49:18

can you write down anything you eat?
I find a combination of fizzy drinks and fatty foods makes my guts unhappy (cola & take away usually)

MissSmiley Sun 26-Jan-20 08:52:14

Are you lactose intolerant? That can come and go.... otherwise try FODMAP to work out what you're sensitive to

Cantdothis2020 Sun 26-Jan-20 09:15:43

Thanks. I do have anxiety and health anxiety as well so that won’t be helping.

I’ve been trying to monitor and be careful what I’ve been eating for a few months but it’s been difficult to pinpoint anything in particular. Sometimes things affect me, like bread, milk and eggs but other times I’m ok with them. I had mussels in a cream sauce about a month ago and I was running to the loo before I even left the restaurant shock
I’ll have a look at FODMAP.

I have lost weight but that was intentional as I was exercising and dieting and I cut out all the crap and reduced portion sizes. But oddly I haven’t put any weight on over Christmas which is surprising considering the amount of chocolate and calories consumed.

I guess I’ll have to wait until I see the doctor and find out what the next stage is as things do seem to have been getting worse.

Pencilplantironingboard Sun 26-Jan-20 09:17:41

Have you tried yakult or something similar. A gastroenterologist recommended them to my friend and they made a massive difference.

loutypips Sun 26-Jan-20 09:21:59

It sounds very much like anxiety. The gut and brain are linked and worry can affect your bowel movements.
If your results come back clear, then you could try hypnosis.
Carry on with the probiotics, they may make you loose to start with, but it settles down.

Cantdothis2020 Sun 26-Jan-20 09:22:41

I darent try those yoghurt drinks as I’m not sure if the dairy might set me off. I bought some probiotic tablets and took 2 yesterday and I’m not sure if they have set me off as they have lactose in them. I’m just guessing.

Cantdothis2020 Sun 26-Jan-20 11:12:02

Thanks. I will stay off the probiotics until I have seen the doc and been for any further tests.
I fear I might have to have a colonoscopy. The flexi sig was quite painful but not a long procedure.
Just wondering if the flexi can make you a bit sore afterwards. I’m feeling a bit achey in the same area it hurt when they were doing it.

loutypips Mon 27-Jan-20 17:35:31

Yeah stick with the tablets. Lactose intolerance isn't fun!

Yes, it can make you sore, they pump air into you and it can take a while to settle. If they did a biopsy then you may bleed a bit too.

stripeypillowcase Mon 27-Jan-20 18:53:14

yes, it can be sore.
the gas is unpleasant and if they have taken biopsies that will hurt a little bit.

Cantdothis2020 Mon 27-Jan-20 19:51:23

Thanks. They didn’t take biopsies. I know they remove polyps if there are any there but it was clear.
A colleague has had a few colonoscopies and says she suffers for about 5 days afterwards but I only had the flexi sig which is not as invasive.

TARSCOUT Mon 27-Jan-20 19:58:24

Stop taking anything until you have had your results but do keep a food diary and keep a note of your symptoms and the timings etc.

Snowcandle Thu 30-Jan-20 12:53:23

Hi. I’ve just posted about a similar problem and wondered if you are any further forward.
I’m the same in that my problem has been intermittent and unpredictable but I’m sure it must be related to something I’m eating but I cannot quite figure out what it is.

I’m so worried that I’m not eating properly for fear of getting the runs so although I have lost weight, it’s because I’m eating a lot less.

I have a gp appointment booked to discuss this and I’m hoping it’s just stress related as my anxiety levels have been sky high for ages now.

Cantdothis2020 Thu 30-Jan-20 15:46:53

I’m not doing great tbh snowcandle. I’m still full of gas and gurgling away and had a late night visit to the loo again last night. I’m a bit concerned as I thought things were starting to settle down after the flexi sig. Were you ok afterwards?

My doc took some blood last week and I did stool samples as well so I will see what the results are when I go next Wednesday.

I think it’s true that anxiety makes this all worse. I’m losing weight as well but that will be due to stress and not eating as much - I hope anyway.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »