Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Rather depressed at this logic re MMR

(45 Posts)
Kathyis6incheshigh Fri 31-Aug-07 16:01:17

Was just chatting to a neighbour who was telling me the compromise she and her husband came to re MMR: he didn't want their son to have it, she did, so he had the first one but not the booster hmm

AIBU to find this rather depressing?

ConnorTraceptive Fri 31-Aug-07 16:03:10

where do some people get their brains hmm

Kathyis6incheshigh Fri 31-Aug-07 16:04:33

They are, actually, lovely and intelligent people shock
Which is why it surprised me so much.

pistachio Fri 31-Aug-07 16:19:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RubySlippers Fri 31-Aug-07 16:20:08

that isn't a compromise though?!
you either have it, or not or single vaccines

hanaflower Fri 31-Aug-07 16:21:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EmsMum Fri 31-Aug-07 16:22:17

They like gambling do they? hmm

LadyVictoriaOfCake Fri 31-Aug-07 16:23:07

mine havent had the booster.

expatinscotland Fri 31-Aug-07 16:24:10

I wish they'd offer DD1 the bloody booster. She's 4.2 now. She was supposed to be going full time at pre-school, too, but we'll be moving before that happens and then I'm going to insist on the booster before she starts at the new school.

tiredemma Fri 31-Aug-07 16:28:13

I dont recall ds2 having a booster to date- should I chase this up do you think? he is just 4 and starts school next week.

expatinscotland Fri 31-Aug-07 16:29:52

It depends on the practice, but it's usually offered between the ages of 4 and 5. I'm going to insist on it before she starts at the new school and it's winter. She needs measles like she needs a hole in her head - she's already got developmental delays, learning delays and dyspraxia.

Kathyis6incheshigh Fri 31-Aug-07 16:30:28

Did you have a reason for that Misdee or was it just one of those things that happens because of opportunity and getting round to it?
Thing is, I could think of lots of reasons why it might come about (eg you change your mind in between in the light of new info), I'm just surprised that that's what they did as a deliberate decision. Surely if there really is a risk it's the early dose people are worried about? Or am I wrong about that?

tiredemma Fri 31-Aug-07 16:31:25

Ah right- I can see your logic in insisting on it- ill ask the school nurse during the first term and see what the procedure is.
Measles terrifies me- bloody awful disease.

LadyVictoriaOfCake Fri 31-Aug-07 16:33:05

mine did have their actual MMR till almost 2years old. the booster is there to catch those who didnt devolope immunity isnt it?

expatinscotland Fri 31-Aug-07 16:33:18

My mother is partially deaf in one ear from measles, tired. And the thing is, although she has for the most part had a healthy life, now she is in her 60s that ear has given her NOTHING but trouble. Doctors say she suffered permanent damage to its functioning from that measles.

I ride the bus with a chap in his late 50s who is completely blind and totally deaf in one ear from measles complications when he was a youngster.

cat64 Fri 31-Aug-07 16:33:30

Message withdrawn

Kathyis6incheshigh Fri 31-Aug-07 16:34:28

Hanaflower - her ds is much older now (10, I think) and I'm not sure he would be relied upon to keep it secret....
Still maybe now there are all these measles cases around he'll change his mind.

LadyVictoriaOfCake Fri 31-Aug-07 16:34:51

also dd1 reacts badly to jabs with her skin. always get a flare up aftrerwards. her body goes haywire. when she had the HIb booster in 2003 (due to [problems with the lot she had as a baby) she went loopy and hyperactive. for days, it was like someone had changed my child overnight. i was shattered.

Dinosaur Fri 31-Aug-07 16:35:58

I thought, though, that the purpose of the "booster" was to catch those children in whom for some reason the first MMR jab hadn't "taken".

If I am right, then many many children have the second one unnecessarily, because they have already been successfully immunised.

However, the MMR does wear off eventually (unlike the immunity you get from catching wild measles, which is lifelong).

I don't know what is the logic of not havinig booster in teh proper sense for our teenage children.

Dinosaur Fri 31-Aug-07 16:36:36

LadyVictoriaofCake - sorry, I see you've already posted what I said, and much more succinctly!

Kathyis6incheshigh Fri 31-Aug-07 16:36:44

Oh, is it to catch those whose first one didn't take? I assumed it was that the immunity wore off as they got older. (Am no expert as my oldest is only 2.)

Cat64 - I think it was that only 3/4 had had the booster, so not quite as bad as the other way round.

expatinscotland Fri 31-Aug-07 16:37:34

Oh, they definitely need a booster as pre-teens/early adults. We had mumps outbreaks at the university where I work for 2 years and having this disease as an adult is not good at all.

LadyVictoriaOfCake Fri 31-Aug-07 16:39:17

i think they are now talking about offering boosters to teenagers arent they?

i know when i was a teenagersa all the girls were offered the rubella jab.

Kathyis6incheshigh Fri 31-Aug-07 16:39:26

Misdee/LadyVictoria - I am not surprised you are cautious if you have bad reactions.

Dinosaur Fri 31-Aug-07 16:39:38

This whole business of the immunity wearing off is the main reason why I would in a way have preferred my DCs to catch wild measles, and mumps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now