Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I want to have my jaw broken.

(19 Posts)
totaleclipse Fri 31-Aug-07 14:51:28

My niece is 14 and is currently wearing a brace, however her teeth are not going back as they should, they say its because her jaw does'nt match up properly, so she is having an op where they will break her jaw and reposition it, My niece is identical to me, I have the same problem with my jaw, when I close my mouth my chin wrinkles up because it is out of allignment(sp), I had/do huge huge problems with my teeth too, I so want it done too but I expect it will cost thousands, anyone had this done as an adult?

curlywurlycremeegg Fri 31-Aug-07 14:53:43

no, I have a massive over bite that causes problems with my teeth, one dentist commented that he was surprise no one had done anything about it when I was younger. When I asked about having it done now he said it was such a major op that he really wouldn't reccommend it.

totaleclipse Fri 31-Aug-07 14:55:05

Really!! still I dont care I have always been insecure about it.

curlywurlycremeegg Fri 31-Aug-07 15:01:20

I guess if that's the case then you should go for it, have you spoken to your dentist? You may not have to pay for it if they think it's done for a "medical" not just "cosmetic" reason

totaleclipse Fri 31-Aug-07 15:03:55

I will speak to him next time I go, Do you know if you have to be fitted with a brace again?

southeastastra Fri 31-Aug-07 15:13:59

my dp and son have this too. the hv said we could do something about it when he's older but it sort of suits them

totaleclipse Fri 31-Aug-07 15:20:03

You see, I could kill 2 birds with one stone, and lose some weight at the same time, as I would be on a liquid diet for a while......wooo hooogrin

curlywurlycremeegg Fri 31-Aug-07 15:23:34

I think there my be the possibilty of a brace if the theeth are misallignet once the jaw has been reset, but if it's a simple missalignment of the jaw and not the teeth then I doubt there will be a brace involved. Not sure I could manage a liquid diet

totaleclipse Fri 31-Aug-07 15:26:19

Yes, I think I would have to just stick to soup, I could'nt eat a liquidised sunday roastsmile

3littlefrogs Fri 31-Aug-07 15:29:40

I have had jaw surgery and you wake up feeling as if you have been run over by a truck. It took me over a year to get over it.

So think carefully and get two expert opinions.

BTW I had no choice - I had an injury.

totaleclipse Fri 31-Aug-07 15:34:10

Blimey, but seriously I would put up with that, for me its a small price to pay, I am going to look into it, and will get it done if it does'nt cost too much.

car25 Fri 31-Aug-07 21:24:53

I have had this for an underbite (ie bottom jaw was shorter than top).

Firstly I had bottom jaw done, but unfortunately my jaw slowly receded back again.

So about 10 years later I had the bottom and top jaws done (bottom lengthened, and top reduced upwards if you see what I mean).

With the first op I did have my jaws wired together for 6 weeks, but the more recent second ops I didn't have to, I had plates in the jaws instead.

I did have fixed braces with both ops.

It is major surgery and there are risks. I no longer have feeling in my bottom lip/chin, as the nerve has been stretched so much. It was very uncomfortable and there is a lot of bruising and swelling.

totaleclipse Sat 01-Sep-07 09:31:41

Hi car25, thanks for the info, I read the risk of losing feeling is quite rare, is this because you had it done twice do you think? Sorry this happened to you. Could you tell me how much it cost, or was it done on the NHS? Apart grom the loss of feeling are you happy with the result?

car25 Sat 01-Sep-07 22:27:36

I had mine both done on the NHS and am now happy with the result.

Although I do seem to have had a lot of problems with my teeth since (which may just be coincidental or could have been caused by the movement of teeth with braces).

Ask your dentist to refer you, then you can find out more about the operation specific to yourself, and how long you would need to wear braces for before and after the op, then decide. My last operation was over 10 years ago now and I am sure things have changed.

Good Luck with whatever you decide.

totaleclipse Sat 01-Sep-07 22:36:31

Thanks car25, will definately look into it, I know braces cost about £5000, I wonder if that would be on NHS as well as it is part of the procedure, in fact I wore a brace 15 years ago so teeth are pretty straight so it may not be necessary.

faylisa Sat 01-Sep-07 22:37:49

Hi, I had jaw surgery about 5 years ago. One side of my jaw kept growing and the other didn't so they were becoming increasingly misaligned. I had one op to kill the growing cells and asecond to reposition the jaw. I did have a fixed brace as they need to put the teeth in the position they will need to be in after the op beforehand, as your jaw is too weak to do it afterwards. I had it on NHS following referral from my dentist to a maxillofacial surgeon.

It was very painful but I'm glad I had it done.

faylisa Sat 01-Sep-07 22:38:26

ps - my braces were on NHS as well as the op

totaleclipse Sat 01-Sep-07 22:39:25

Oh so the braces were on NHS too?

totaleclipse Sat 01-Sep-07 22:40:32

lol, crossed posts.

Great, I so want this done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now