Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Cough, cough, whoop, whoop, cough, cough, vomit! Anyone else with whooping cough?

(14 Posts)
sylvev Thu 30-Aug-07 20:14:47

Hi
I'm now in my 7th week of whooping cough. I have lost my voice, have whooping fits several times a day esp.if I dare to laugh, have broken a rib from coughing and...er..had a few little accidents iykwim? Anyone else what to join this highly select group.....please....sad

sylvev Thu 30-Aug-07 20:31:09

Anyone......? sad

gess Thu 30-Aug-07 20:37:30

DS2 had it when he was 2. Went on for months. His was pretty mild though.

I remember my friend had it aged 8, I had measles at the same time. We used to play together (as we were both off school qarantined) I remember her rushing off to whoop and retch into tissues! We used to watch all the kids programmes on the TV, then try and make the crafty stuff (with her rushing off every few minutes to whoop).

It does sound as though it will start to get better soon. Are you sleeping on 100 pillows?

sylvev Thu 30-Aug-07 20:41:39

I am the princess of the pillow! Thanks for replying, just feeling fed-up. Everyone is bored with it now......

gess Thu 30-Aug-07 21:12:51

oh that's weird I thought I replied to this- perhaps I replied on the wrong thread! Just said that bet you're fed up. I was fed up when ds2 had it. He woke every night from October to March coughing for 40mins- 1 hour each night. I had to sit there with water, sitting him up. It was exhausting!

I had it when I was 7, remember it vividly. Never been so ill before, I rememebr been sick loads with the coughing.

Then I was 10 a (new) GP diagnosed me with whooping cough and my mum smugly told him that he was wrong as I'd already had it. But apparantly you can get it twice and I have. Not as bad 2nd time though.

Hope you feel better soon.

daisyandbabybootoo Thu 30-Aug-07 22:07:33

Oh, you poor thing; my sister had it in her 20s....I seem to remember it lasting about seven weeks. she also broke a rib with the force of her coughing and I shared a room with her so was kept up half the night for those seven weeks as well.

i hope you feel better soon.

Furball Thu 30-Aug-07 22:07:43

I'm sure dH had this a few months back. he sounded just like the sound clip on This informative site. Took him a couple of months and really knocked him for 6 in fact it was only suddenly one day I realised that he was actually getting better as I was so used to him having no energy and having god knows how many coughing fits a day.

sylvev Fri 31-Aug-07 13:59:16

Thanks for all your messages.It must be awful having children with whooping cough, I sympathise, gess. At least dh,dd & ds haven't caught it, I was lucky and my Gp put me on antibiotics immediately which stopped me being contagious.

My children are 13 and 8, so I'm lucky I don't have tiny ones to look after as well. The tables are turned now and I'm keeping them awake at night grin and you should hear them moan.

The night coughing is improving and I'm only having 5-6 coughing fits a day now. the worst symptom is my loss of voice. Gp has told me to rest my voice. It is really difficult not to talk. People at work know not to talk with me too much, but it feels very isolating.

Furball, thanks for the site info. very interesting. I sound just like the man, but not quite so gruff! It's interesting that the doctor on the site believes it is often misdiagnosed, I think that must be the case. Again, I whooped whilst at the doctors and he knew instantly what it was.

Thanks for your support. This is a great way to communicate without using my voice smile

gess Sat 01-Sep-07 09:20:24

I've lost my voice too at the moment Not whooping cough, though luckily! DS1 (severely autistic) keeps trying to make me sing then kills himself laughing when I whisper that my voice is broken.

sylvev Sat 01-Sep-07 09:45:35

Poor you, gess. It is soooo frustrating. I go to say something, expecting to be taken seriously, and end up squeaking.

My children love it when I sneeze. Because of the broken rib, I've developed a way of sneezing that minimises the pain and the risk of whooping. Unfortunately it is really loud and a ridiculous noise. Then we all laugh, I start whooping and have to rush to the toilet to prevent an accident. It is a little like a Marx Brothers film in our house at the moment grin At least your DS is finding it entertaining too.

I think yo're doing very well going into work, hope your boss appreciates it.

peanutbear Sat 01-Sep-07 10:23:41

your in work shock your boss must think you are a star

my sister had it once when she was little I remember her being so poorly

sympathy for you I hope you feel better soon

sylvev Sun 02-Sep-07 15:20:55

Thanks everyone. I'm doing limited tasks at work. Anything that doesn't involve talking!So lots of admin., computing, even reorganising my filing cabinets. I quite enjoy the change. My boss is great, he allows me to work at home if I need to also.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now