Talk

Advanced search

Should I seek a second opinion?

(15 Posts)
EurghRedface Tue 21-Jan-20 03:21:55

I went to the doctor's because i have noticed a lot of thinning of my hair and it is brittle. A lot of facial hair has sprouted also. I'm tired, gaining weight very fast. I have been diagnosed as having fibromyalgia.

Had a few tests done, and one has come back slightly high. After doing some Doctor Google sessions, am I right in thinking this test result could be linked to all of my issues?

OP’s posts: |
scotscubagirl Tue 21-Jan-20 04:11:12

You do have some symptoms of hypothyroidism. But I doubt you will get treatment unless you fight for it.

EurghRedface Tue 21-Jan-20 06:33:59

Thank you.

ahran2k Tue 21-Jan-20 11:05:55

It looks like the test was done because the doctor suspected you were in perimenopause based on your symptoms. Your fsh levels are normal ( or were at least normal the day they tested you). A high TSH can make your hair go brittle and can also cause hormonal imbalance- hence the hair on your chin. You might have some period irregularities too. But since the TSH levels are not that high the GP is not going to treat you unless you push him to do that. You can try but if does not work then a vitamin b and zinc supplement can work too. Read about it. If you are vegetarian, you can also switch your salt to iodised salt.

EurghRedface Tue 21-Jan-20 23:31:28

Ahran thank you very much! That would make sense because my periods are extremely heavy and all over the place and I have been to the doctor's about that also.

Thank you I will make another appointment to discuss

Runbikeswim Tue 21-Jan-20 23:43:54

That TSH is over range I'd insist on trying thyroxine

EurghRedface Wed 22-Jan-20 02:42:44

Thank you I will research that

EurghRedface Thu 23-Jan-20 12:16:28

@Runbikeswim and @ahran2k thank you for your responses. I just out from the GP and I've been given a prescription. She suspects underactive thyroid. She said to try this medication and in two months review that and then look at the other issues I have to see if the thyroid has balanced out and elevated some of my other issues.

Thanks so much.

ahran2k Thu 23-Jan-20 14:14:42

@EurghRedface that's excellent news!!! Hope you feel okay real soon.

mindfulmam Thu 23-Jan-20 14:18:28

Did they prescribe thyroxine?

EurghRedface Thu 23-Jan-20 14:42:37

No @mindfulmam, I wasn't actually told what it was until I collected the prescription from the Chemist as it was sent electronically. It's called Levothyroxine.

DontCallMeBaby Thu 23-Jan-20 14:47:28

That is thyroxine. Good luck with it smile

mindfulmam Thu 23-Jan-20 14:50:07

That is thyroxine. Good luck

EurghRedface Thu 23-Jan-20 17:54:34

@DontCallMeBaby and @mindfulmam oh lol! I'm guessing brand name and generic etc...

Thank you both!! 😘

DontCallMeBaby Thu 23-Jan-20 20:38:08

I’ve looked it up, after over 15 years of taking it :D It’s the manufactured form of the hormone.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »