Talk

Advanced search

Bigger head circumference baby/toddler

(6 Posts)
marie2020 Mon 20-Jan-20 16:58:45

Hello

My toddler was found out to have bigger head circumference at 5 months of age and health visitors keep coming home to measure his head on monthly basis, there is no sign of development delays but thought to ask whether it has happened to anyone else here and if I should be worried? We've done CT and MRI scans nothing wrong shows which is good. GOSH doctor assured me that he sees babies with bigger heads almost each week but they grow as normal and we should not worry as long as they keep track of his development by 18 months. Thank you

OP’s posts: |
7to25 Mon 20-Jan-20 18:44:02

Same happened to me over 30 years ago. No scans though a lot of measurements. Lots of worries until my MIL told me that sha had to open the shoulder of all of my husbands sweaters when he was a child.
Son is fine in all ways but has a big head.....as does my grandson.

MG2020 Mon 20-Jan-20 18:52:12

Easier said than done, try not to worry.
Our dear grandson almost 3 years old had an unusual shape to his head
IE pointed to the front and horizontal ridge. He's had many checks, scans, etc but is ok. Your's just has a big head like I do and as 7to25 said, in my case it was the primary school parties I found out i had a big head as hats would not fit, but I'm good, worked as a care manager, retired at 50 drive a big, flash car and nice home - what I'm saying is he will be good.
smile

Justajot Mon 20-Jan-20 18:55:35

Have you measured your head and your baby's father's heads? I researched big heads once and apparently a lot of them are just down to having parents with big heads.

My DC haven't had their heads measured much, but I think they are big. My DH comes from a family with big heads and when I finally found data on women's head circumference, I found that my head is 3cm off the end of the "normal" scale. There's nothing wrong with me or DH, but I can't buy women's hats that fit unless they are stretchy.

AdultHumanFemale Mon 20-Jan-20 19:02:44

DC1 had a huge head, the consultant remarked on it the moment she was born. She was also found to have premature fusing and a closed fontanelle, basically a pretty solid cranium at birth.
6 months of regular paed measurements, found head to be growing normally, just in something like the 98th centile for head circumference. Now 9, she looks like an LoL doll...
Wishing you and DC all the best!

goose1964 Mon 20-Jan-20 23:50:21

My son has a bigger than usual head but as he's 6 foot 5 it's only to be expected.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »