Talk

Advanced search

Steroid Injections for RA

(5 Posts)
Skap Sun 19-Jan-20 16:11:15

I have RA which has been reasonably well controlled for a few years on hydroxychloroquine.
I had to stop taking it in September because I was starting chemotherapy for breast cancer. Now the chemo has ended my RA has flared up badly. I have started the hydroxy again this week but it takes a while to kick in.
Meanwhile I hurt all over and the fatigue is dragging me down. Just as I had hoped to feel better after the ordeal of chemotherapy I feel worse.
All the Rheum nurse could offer was a steroid injection. I instinctively said no as I've been pumped full of steroids for 3 months but I may have to say yes as I'm getting desperate.
Anyone with experience of these injections? Any side effects? How long do the effects good or bad last?
I did post on auto immune but not much traffic there.

OP’s posts: |
arionater Sun 19-Jan-20 20:19:42

Hello skap. Yes I've had these a few times. The procedure is not very nice and the joint often feels worse initially because the pressure inside is increased but I do find they help a lot. I've had my wrists done quite a few times over about 15 years. I once had a shoulder one too which didn't help as much but I think the probs I was having weren't entirely from inflammation in the shoulder joint so that's probably why. Which joint are they going to do? Do you have other questions?

Skap Sun 19-Jan-20 21:41:41

It's not any particular joint its an injection in the bottom, presumably intra muscular. All my joints/ bones hurt, I ache all over. It's a familiar feeling and has been mostly controlled with hydroxychloroquine. When I do get a flare its never been this bad before. They offer the injection to help until the medication starts to work.

Skap Sun 19-Jan-20 21:44:55

@arionater, thanks. The steroids I had on chemotherapy prevented sleep. That's manageable for a day or so but I would hope for more than a couple of days relief from the injection.
Am currently taling ibuprofen every 8 hours which helps but not for long and doesn't help with the first thing in the morning pain.

arionater Sun 19-Jan-20 23:17:34

Oh I see yes that's different. I've not had a general steroid injection for RA though I was on steroids in my last pregnancy. I did find the joint injections I had helped for a long time - a good few months - once the initial discomfort settled down but obviously that's different from a general injection. Hopefully someone else will come along who's had exactly what you're asking about!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »