Talk

Advanced search

Strong urine smell no other symptoms?

(10 Posts)
WtsGoinOn Sat 18-Jan-20 09:50:14

Just before Christmas I went to the loo in the morning and immediately noticed a very strong smell coming from my urine, like nothing I have ever smelt before. There was no pain or urgency, if anything the flow a little slow. The smell gradually lessoned as the day went on and then restarts each morning. I wondered if dehydration was the cause, with lots of boozing over Christmas, now it’s over I’ve made a conscious effort to drink lots of water etc but the issue continues.

I have had several UTIs in my life, but usually that causes pain and peeing all the time, if anything I’m peeing less! And I’ve never noticed this strong smell before, kind of chemical.

Could it still be a UTI? It’s almost impossible to get time off work to visit the GP, so I’ve been trying to avoid it.

OP’s posts: |
ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 18-Jan-20 09:54:22

Are you pregnant?

WtsGoinOn Sat 18-Jan-20 09:57:28

Definitely not

Allinadaystwerk Sat 18-Jan-20 09:59:42

I had this. Turns out it was a kidney infection. Definitely go to your gp

Mrsjayy Sat 18-Jan-20 10:01:52

Yes it could be I get frequent UTIs and sometimes i don't feel ill. Hand in a urine sample you probably won't need to see a Gp they will probably leave you a prescription, there is usually a tick sheet with the sample bottle.

squee123 Sat 18-Jan-20 10:06:21

if you're in London there's a post on here to test out a new urine sampling service for free

WtsGoinOn Sat 18-Jan-20 11:10:53

Up North unfortunately. I will speak to GP reception on Monday, see if I can just hand in a sample or not

slipperywhensparticus Sat 18-Jan-20 11:18:07

Isnt there a dip test kit in the co-op? Not sure how accurate it is

Mrsjayy Sat 18-Jan-20 11:26:42

Pharmacies will do a urine test and prescribe antibiotics

WtsGoinOn Thu 23-Jan-20 09:50:20

I managed to purchase a urine infection test. The results look like something is going on, although doesn’t match the examples completely, I’ve attached pic, will make a gp appointment too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »