Talk

Advanced search

Pain in jaw after root canal

(10 Posts)
toothfairynotbeen Wed 15-Jan-20 17:39:03

Been a lurker and posting for the first time today
So had a root canal treatment about 2 and a half weeks ago.
All seemed fine, had an infection which was treated by antibiotics but I have a dull ache in the jaw area directly under the tooth which had the root canal .... anyone have any ideas what this might be? If I press on the jaw bit where there is the dull ache I can feel the pressure under the tooth that has gone through the treatment
It's not bad enough that I need pain killers and if comes and goes.... no info online about this either other than it could possibly be 'settling pains'. The dentist did say she had to go a little deep for the root canal
Any words of wisdom much appreciated!!
Thank you
Tell me it is nothing serious as I am stressing!!!

OP’s posts: |
Gertrudesgarden Wed 15-Jan-20 17:42:22

I'd go back to the dentist asap. May be a deep infection still rumbling away.

toothfairynotbeen Wed 15-Jan-20 17:46:58

Crikey ... but I've just completed a course of antibiotics... amoxicillin 500mg . I thought that would have killed any infection that would be there ..

toothfairynotbeen Wed 15-Jan-20 17:52:56

Isn't that the correct antibiotics for tooth/gum/jaw ache?

nothingcanhurtmewithmyeyesshut Wed 15-Jan-20 18:03:48

I always get an aching jaw after any deep work. It's been messed about with a lot. Let it settle for a couple more weeks unless it gets worse.

toothfairynotbeen Wed 15-Jan-20 18:34:18

Appreciate you two ladies taking the time to respond ...
Wondering if there is any dental professionals who might be able to advise please?

Orangeshark Wed 15-Jan-20 21:11:00

I would see if it settles OP.

It's normal for there to be some tenderness after a root canal, and if you don't need painkillers it's not severe.

If you came into me I'd just take a wait and see approach anyway.

FloofenHoofen Wed 15-Jan-20 21:21:17

Not had a root canal. But I've had deep fillings, and always find that my tooth and jaw ache for a while after. Also get sharp pains which take 3 months to subside.
I'm fairly certain what you're feeling is just the nerve that has flared up from the previous infection and from the work that's been done. Your tooth will feel sensitive for a while whilst it settles.

If you've just completed antibiotics then I most certainly wouldn't worry and I'd be giving it a little longer before going back.

katielilly Wed 15-Jan-20 21:37:33

It take a while to settle, so try not to fret.

toothfairynotbeen Wed 15-Jan-20 21:53:29

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. I'll wait and fingers crossed it will calm down.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »