Talk

Advanced search

Lymphoma referral- any experience?

(4 Posts)
letshopeitsnot Wed 15-Jan-20 14:03:12

Have had swollen lymph nodes in my groin for last 2 months, and lost my appetite most of the time with some fevers and exhaustion. Went to doctor this week, who is slightly concerned about lymphoma (although he said he wasn't saying he thinks it is lymphoma, he doesn't know what is causing it, so it is a possibility.) He also told me I have more enlarged lymph nodes in my neck which I wasn't aware of (armpits and collarbone clear). I haven't had any infections recently (since october) and some lymph nodes are getting bigger.

I've had blood tests this week (i know lymphoma cant be diagnosed by blood tests, but done in advance of haematology referral) and seeing him later in week for I presume the referral to be done.

I was just wondering if anyone else had had something similar, and could tell me what to expect after referral? Eg. Will biopsy be done on first appointment? I think possible lymphoma is referred under 2 week wait?

I'm sure I'll get more info when I see GP again but would be helpful to hear others experiences.

Thanks in advance !

OP’s posts: |
Oohmegooliebird Wed 15-Jan-20 21:14:20

You probably will be referred on the 2WW pathway but try not to worry, most patients coming through don't have lymphoma or anything serious. There are numerous benign causes of enlarged lymph nodes.

On your first visit you will see a doctor who will take your history and examine you. They may request some more blood tests such as for HIV and glandular fever .

I think it is unlikely you will have a biopsy on the same day. The pathway isn't as streamlined as for breast lumps, as people can have lumps in any part of the body and may need different types of biopsy. Depending on your hospital set up you may even be referred to another team for a biopsy I.e the ENT team for a neck lump biopsy or the breast surgeons for an armpit lump.

Not all patients end up having a biopsy. If they are not too worried they may just request an ultrasound and if this shows tiny inflamed looking nodes they may not feel a biopsy would be helpful.

Best of luck and hope next few weeks aren't too stressful.

letshopeitsnot Thu 16-Jan-20 21:08:37

Thank you!

I keep switching between 'It's probably nothing' to 'it could be something'. I'm very rational so trying to focus on one step at a time.

I'm most worried because my lymph nodes are hard and not movable, but swollen nodes due to infection are usually soft and movable. And I've really not been feeling myself, especially with the loss of appetite.

Hopefully will have some answers soon!

OP’s posts: |
Oohmegooliebird Sun 26-Jan-20 20:37:24

How are you doing?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »