Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Thrush and sharing a bath with DS and DH

(3 Posts)
oysterpots Wed 29-Aug-07 18:53:56

Both me and my 5 week old son have been treating thrush - me in nipples and slight vaginal infection, son around nappy area and mouth. We'd really like to have a bath all together and with Dad - is this a bad idea? Will he get infected??

3littlefrogs Fri 31-Aug-07 00:26:49

Don't do it - get rid of the thrush first. Check that dad isn't carrying it too. It is a fungal infection and spreads. You have to be very careful about cross infection between you and ds too - careful hand washing, no sharing of cloths or towels etc.

Personally, I would not routinely share a bath with a baby this young. I have recommended lying in a bath with the baby lying on mum's tummy if the baby is very collicky, but always advised mum has a shower first, and definitely don't do it if there is still any vaginal bleeding or discharge around. This can take longer than 5-6 weeks to clear.

However, I am a very old ex-midwife and HV, and I am aware that plenty of younger mums might disagree with me.

HTH

pania Fri 31-Aug-07 01:13:30

Agree with 3littlefrogs. I really don't think you should do this until the thrush is gone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now