Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sudden severe dry lips driving me demented

(10 Posts)
grannyslippers Wed 29-Aug-07 17:53:24

Well I'm one of those people who tends towards dry lips and always has several chapsticks secreted about my person, but the last week the dryness has gone mad like some kind of allergy

my lips are very severely dry, a bit swollen, tingly/itchy and uncomfortable all the time, especially first thing in the morning. NOTHING touches it:vaseline, chapstick, lipsyl, E45 lipsyle, Blistex, Cymex. Lipstick makes them worse. Basically I need to keep putting salve on about once a minute to be remotely comfortable, and even if I do that there's been no improvement.

I don't think I have any other symptom I'm just baffled. trying to drink lots and have my oil supplement regularly but I haven't changed normal routine or diet.

has anyone experienced this before any ideas, or do i have to brave the waiting room hour of hell that is our GP?

Doodledootoo Wed 29-Aug-07 18:08:26

Message withdrawn

bigwombat Wed 29-Aug-07 18:08:58

Sounds bad, have you used anything new on them to give you an allergic reaction?? Or else severe dermatitis? In the winter I get very dry hands, I find that vaseline and similar just makes it worse, I use something called Lotil cream which works well. I think you can get into a vicious cycle of applying creams constantly and your skin forgets how to keep itself moist and everything just gets worse. Perhaps try pharmacist first before GP? You can also use aqueous cream instead of soap and avoid washing face with normal soap or other products.

CantSleepWontSleep Wed 29-Aug-07 18:15:30

Which version of Blistex have you used - the original Blistex or the one that used to be Blisteze? The old Blisteze is the only thing that works for me. Mine are pretty dry at the moment, but I have a cold, so mine is probably due to that.

Is there lots of harvesting going on near to you?

castlesintheair Wed 29-Aug-07 18:19:13

I get this grannyslippers. I've never really got entirely to the bottom of it but have found I can only wear Almay or Lancome lipstick now. For me it is aggravated when I am stressed & tired, erm, most of the time. I was also told by a chinese herbalist hmm that it is due to an inbalance in my spleen and to cut out citrus fruit and chicken. I have noticed it's worse if I eat a lot of citrus. I am a constant vaseline applier. Hth. A bit!

strawberry Wed 29-Aug-07 18:21:25

I've got this at the moment too and suffer with dry lips most of the time. On a previous occasion I decided it was one of my lip glosses that seemed to be making it worse so I threw it away and things improved. I wonder if they can get bacteria build up? I like Eve Lom's Kissmix - very soothing. Also Dr Lipp's Nipple balm for lips (yes really!).

BTW Granny Slippers have you been to see the Brum stage show?

Doodledootoo Wed 29-Aug-07 18:22:44

Message withdrawn

CantSleepWontSleep Wed 29-Aug-07 18:33:07

Great doodledootoo - I've now self-diagnosed myself as having a riboflavin deficiency.

[hypochondriac]

grannyslippers Wed 29-Aug-07 20:02:29

I did buy a jar of Nutella for the first time in ages last week - could it be a little known Nutella Allergic Syndrome hmm

grannyslippers Wed 29-Aug-07 20:04:25

thanks though, I thought of purging my collection of Chapsticks completely as some of them must be rather old and gungy by now, and getting some new decent ones. At least I am not alone, stressed and tired could be it, can't wait for playgroup to start next week!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now