Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Haven't run since I did the Race for Life. Need to sign up for another race I think but can't find any. What shall I do to get myself going again?

(22 Posts)
franch Wed 29-Aug-07 17:03:45

Did Race for Life on 22 July and have only run ONCE since. I obviously need a goal, and was looking for another 5K run in London around 3 months from now - I did 3 months' training for Race for Life and it seemed to work well. But there don't seem to be many winter races.

Do I pick another form of exercise over the winter (I do like the cheapness and flexibility of running, although I wouldn't call myself a natural runner), or is there something else I can use as a goal? Has to be something solid and external, not just the glow of pleasure I might theoretically get from improving my own speed or something.

MerlinsBeard Wed 29-Aug-07 17:06:13

erm, in 3 months it will be november so likely to be frosty and icey and SLIPPY!

In the free issue of that running mag that came in the pack whenyou finished your race, there were upcoming races in that. think it was caled runner or something.

franch Wed 29-Aug-07 17:09:33

But people do run in the winter don't they?!

Didn't get a copy of Runners World, just a leaflet about it. They have a race calendar on their website though and I can't find anything suitable on it. There clearly isn't much over the winter.

So what do I do???

saggarmakersbottomknocker Wed 29-Aug-07 17:42:51

What about training for a 10k in the Spring? Races can be a bit thin on the ground over winter although TBH I like running in the winter. I don't mind the rain and cold mornings are lovely smile

I do a mixture of running and classes over the winter months.

franch Wed 29-Aug-07 18:31:06

What classes do you do saggar? I do find it difficult to commit to times due to DH's irregular hours. Not sure I could face a 10K .... shock

franch Wed 29-Aug-07 18:31:51

Also I found half-hour training sessions (for the 5K) ideal for squeezing in here and there

saggarmakersbottomknocker Wed 29-Aug-07 18:39:39

My current routine is a longer run on Sundays (working back up to 5 miles at the moment), then I try to do another 2 shorter runs, 30/40 minutes and a 'bodytone' class. In reality I'm only managing one of the shorter runs and the class once a fortnight at the moment. blush Oddly I still seem to be maintaining the distance and speed on my long run, not sure how.

The 'bodytone' is low impact aerobics with handweights, which I need for my upper arms and stomach. If the weather is really bad I'll try to do extra classes but dh works shifts so it's not always easy. Running is so convenient isn't it?

My running mate uses the gym but I just don't get on with it. I don't work hard enough.

saggarmakersbottomknocker Wed 29-Aug-07 18:40:26

I do use the term 'speed' loosely......

ntsmum Wed 29-Aug-07 18:49:01

What about the Wimbledon Common 5km time trial? It's every Sat at 9am. They also do them in Bushey and Banstead. Don't know where you are though, so that may be of no use..

Smithy Wed 29-Aug-07 18:51:31

Not run since Race for Life in June and I'm doing the Hydro Womens Challenge on 16th September. Bricking it.....blush. Will spinning 3 times a week count as "training"?

franch Wed 29-Aug-07 18:56:27

Hmm well you've got me thinking saggar ....

Am not far from wimbledon nts, will look into that ...

franch Wed 29-Aug-07 18:59:37

Trouble about a spring 10K is it seems like it's too early to sign up - I need something in the diary!

franch Wed 29-Aug-07 19:41:28

Hmm hmm hmm

Don't want to feel like I'm making excuses ...... Need something that genuinely fires me up like the Race for Life did ......

saggarmakersbottomknocker Wed 29-Aug-07 19:46:40

Valentines run

franch Thu 30-Aug-07 18:22:59

Aha - why couldn't I get anything after Jan when I searched on that site?

franch Thu 30-Aug-07 21:07:18

Oh - probably because I was searching for 5Ks. 10K still doesn't altogether appeal, but I'll think about it .....

MynamesMikeIswimlikeafish Fri 31-Aug-07 17:09:16

I eventually realised that I preferred 10k. I used to run 5k and felt rubbish for most of it. It finally clicked that I felt better as I ran further.

Did 7 miles on my bike yesterday (to work and back so split). Have a sore bum today as I need a new saddle, TMI lol!

<its saggar BTW>

franch Fri 31-Aug-07 18:38:48

But I'm such a beginner!!! Didn't run at all till I did race for life so have only trained for 3 months in my life ...

MynamesMikeIswimlikeafish Fri 31-Aug-07 18:52:57

Did you run all the way on your RFL franch?

franch Fri 31-Aug-07 20:19:29

Yep - found it harder than expected but mainly because of heat which I don't tolerate well under any circumstances (prone to fainting). 31 mins.

saggarmakersbottomknocker Fri 31-Aug-07 20:37:23

I bet you could run further franch. Do you have someone you could rope in to go out with you? I run with a friend; I'm rubbish on my own.

franch Sat 01-Sep-07 11:03:10

Hmmmmm

Yes I have a couple of friends who might train a bit with me ....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now