Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

TELL ME ABOUT CHICKEN POX.........

(24 Posts)
lissie Wed 29-Aug-07 10:46:33

we went to a christening 2w ago and a little boy who was playing with ds came down with chicken pox about 5d later. a week after that his sister came down with it. my nephew (whos christening it was) has been off colour for the last few days and ds now has a sore throat, lost his voice, v chesty and a bit of a temp, does this sound like the onset of chickenpox?

LilRedWG Wed 29-Aug-07 10:47:35

Oh Lissie, poor little man No answer I'm afraid, just sympathy!

ChipButty Wed 29-Aug-07 10:47:56

Yes.

RubySlippers Wed 29-Aug-07 10:48:09

could be
DS was cranky before his spots came out
look for spots on his torso, neck and back

hope he isn't too under the weather ...

RubySlippers Wed 29-Aug-07 10:49:02

oh and if it is chicken pox, my DS perked up considerably once his spots came out

get piriton, and calamine just in case

lissie Wed 29-Aug-07 10:49:31

no spots yet, but he's definately not himself

lissie Wed 29-Aug-07 10:50:10

thanks for the tip ruby. should i call the docs now or wait til tomorrow?

RubySlippers Wed 29-Aug-07 10:50:24

aw - dose him up on capol and nurofen (lots of cuddles as well wink)

RubySlippers Wed 29-Aug-07 10:50:58

call the GP - if it isn't CP he may have an infection which can be treated anyway

KezzaG Wed 29-Aug-07 10:51:36

sounds like it, my ds had a restless night followed by a grumpy tired day and by that evening the spots were appearing on his back and tummy right before my eyes.

hope he feels better soon whatever it is

HenriettaHippo Wed 29-Aug-07 10:52:18

could be.

By coincidence I asked the doctor this morning how long cp's infectious for before spots arrive. She said up to 5 days. So your DS could have caught it. Incubation period is 11-21 days according to my health book, so the timing is right...

At least once he's had it, he won't get it again.

LIZS Wed 29-Aug-07 11:03:54

He should n't have been contagious then, normally it is accepted as a day or two before. dc's weren't really unwell before they got spots just grumpy and tired.

lissielou Wed 29-Aug-07 19:49:09

well, have taken him to docs and he thinks its either the onset of CP or a virus. but CP is the hot fave. poor little man has no voice now and is just sleeping!

KerryMumbledore Wed 29-Aug-07 19:49:42

Sounds like it to me....

lissielou Wed 29-Aug-07 20:00:07

we've found a couple of spots so we're just waiting now to see if it develops.

RubySlippers Thu 30-Aug-07 09:18:41

how is the spotty one this morning?

Is it CP?

LilRedWG Thu 30-Aug-07 09:21:20

How's he doing Lissie? Did you get any sleep?

lissielou Thu 30-Aug-07 10:22:51

well, dramatic night. he went to sleep at 7.45 and at 9.30 woke up. his breathing was v shallow and rattley, he was burning up and floppy. so i called 999 in tears, dh came home and we went to hospital. in short he has a v nasty viral infection that could turn into CP but he's not well. we got back at 2am and we've all had about 1h sleep.

RubySlippers Thu 30-Aug-07 10:23:53

oh lissie - how scary for you all
try and get some rest if you can
is DS on antibiotics?

lissielou Thu 30-Aug-07 10:25:27

no, just calpol. dont think ive ever been so scared in my life

LilRedWG Thu 30-Aug-07 18:28:34

Oh Lissie, poor you, DH and, of course, DS Hope he's back to his normal, lovely, self soon!

lissielou Thu 30-Aug-07 18:45:07

me too, he seems to have perked up a bit now tho

nappyneeds Fri 31-Aug-07 21:39:24

hope hes doing alright - i had a similar scare a few years back with ds. I called nhs direct as ds was quite poorly and seemed to be hallucinating/having seizures of some description and the nurse came on the phone to say theyre sending an ambulance. It even came to our house with siren and all - sh*t scary isnt it!

he has also had chicken pox a year ago and has 20 odd scars all over his body! sad

hugs to you both x

lissielou Sat 01-Sep-07 08:01:56

well, not CP, god knows what it was but a respiratory infection seems to be the hot fave. he is perfectly ok now. typical!

nappyneeds, its awful. we had blue lights all the way to the hospital. sad what was wrong with your LO?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now