Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Periods and Breastfeeding - Mine has returned after 3 months - is there something wrong?

(12 Posts)
Gingerbear Tue 28-Aug-07 22:58:21

Is it normal for periods to return so soon? I am fully breastfeeding DS, and it has come as a shock.
With DD it was at least 6 months before I had the slightest indication of a period.
Not only has it returned, but I am flooded out - changing a nightime pad every 2 hours during the daytime. Normally, my periods are heavy for one day, then light for the rest of the time.
Am I panicking unnecessarily? DS is sleeping through the night now - has this got anything to do with it?

EllieK Tue 28-Aug-07 23:00:41

yep, when they start going longer overnight the periods can return. sorry!

Gingerbear Tue 28-Aug-07 23:03:13

sad I feel crap, I have been through 6 pairs of knickers today, the bathroom looked like a slaughterhouse.
I thought it was post holiday blues, but it must have been PMT.

orangehead Tue 28-Aug-07 23:07:21

yeh mine returned after 6weeks when i was breastfeeding, a bit crap aint it

daisyandbabybootoo Tue 28-Aug-07 23:09:58

mine have returned already as well...when DD was 8.5 weeks, but she had been sleeping for six hour stretches at night for a few weeks before that. I was most disappointed as with DS i switched to formula at 6 weeks but didn't get a period until he was nearly 4 mo old!

Mine was lighter than usual this time but lasted longer

EzrasMummy Tue 28-Aug-07 23:18:29

Mine returned after 4 weeks, and I was and still am exclusively breastfeeding, day and night! they are regular as clockwork and come every month so far. I have a 4 month old

mankyscotslass Wed 29-Aug-07 08:18:45

With my first two, I started at 8 weeks post partum. But with my last it was 9 months. All were exclusively breastfed.
There is some evidence that reduced feeds overnight can bring your period on. This was certainly the case for me, it was 9mths before my youngest went more than 2-3 hours between feeds at night, and the other two slept through from about 8 weeks on. It sucks!

peanutbear Wed 29-Aug-07 08:22:16

I have just posted to give you some sympthy mine are like rivers ATM

oh and the longest I have ever gone is 7 months ds's were about 3 months after even though exclusivley BF

Spink Wed 29-Aug-07 08:24:21

grin slaughterhouse bathroom
same here, periods returned when ds 4 months.. I'm excl bfing ...and he wasn't even sleeping through envy

CantSleepWontSleep Wed 29-Aug-07 08:26:28

Don't forget to sort out your contraception now! One of my friends got her period back at about the same time as you, and had her second dd 4 days before her dd1's first birthday!

Gingerbear Thu 30-Aug-07 06:50:53

Thank you for your support and reassurances everyone.
Contraception? Hahahahaha. I am using co-sleeping with a 13 week old baby, it is very effective!

scienceteacher Thu 30-Aug-07 07:03:17

After one of my kids, my period came back on the day of my postnatal (6 weeks) - that was with rtc nursing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now