Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

**********Has anyone advice experience of sinusitus?***********

(6 Posts)
Mhamai Tue 28-Aug-07 13:29:22

I have suffered on and off with sinusitus for years, often having to go on antibiotics when they have become infected. This last attack however has me a bit worried. It started on Sunday, I got to my gp yesterday and was prescribed Keftid antibiotic and Tylex painkillers <much stronger than over the counter painkillers>

The thing is, in the past I have usually felt a lot better on day two but today, my head is still throbbing and I feel very nauseous and dizzy. Is this still normal? I know the antibiotics may take longer to kick in but am concerned that these prescription painkillers are having little or no effect.

Mhamai Tue 28-Aug-07 14:23:44

loopylou6 Tue 28-Aug-07 18:42:23

i have had sinusitus, but to be honest, ive never had pain with it, i just had minging discharge lol, hopefully someone who is in the know will be along soon

claricebeansmum Tue 28-Aug-07 18:54:45

This might be the side effects of the new drugs...?

DH suffers awfully with this and had a huge dose of antibiotics to clear sinuses prior to an op to sort them out. Unfortunately this made him really ill and gave him urticaria for about 3 months...sad

Mhamai Tue 28-Aug-07 19:00:14

Thanks loopy, clarice, do you mind me asking how the op went? I was told years ago to have the op but have heard horror stories about said op and no guarantee, that problem wouldn't return.

Have to say, might consider it now because the state I've been in since Sunday is horrible. sad

loobylolly Wed 29-Aug-07 17:56:49

Hello, I'm a lurker but wanted to respond to this one! I had horrendous sinuses for years (it turned out they were totally packed with polyps), and eventually after 2 useless ENT consultants and one op which didn't work, I found a consultant who completely sorted me out and now (2 more ops later) my sinuses are totally clear and do not trouble me at all - though I do take double dose of nasonex twice a day.

The op isn't pleasant at the time but to live a normal life it's a million times worth it - I was astonished at how much more energy I had, how much more clearly I could think, how much more purposeful etc I was generally once my head had been properly scooped out (sorry!) - I would go through it every six months if I had to! HTH.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now