Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

ADVICE PLEASE! I am crazy to take my 15 mth old on a 2 hr car journey immed after MMR jab?

(14 Posts)
luckymummy74 Tue 28-Aug-07 08:02:26

My dd has her MMR jab this Friday. I am due to be driving to my parents straight after as I am on a course on the Saturday near where M&D live and they are looking after dd for me as DH working all weekend.

2 friends have told me that their lo's were quite unwell afterwards for about 2-3 days, temp, vomitting etc.
a) should I take her away from home in first place?
b) my poor parents would have to deal with any illness she has.

Any thoughts please???

LucyJones Tue 28-Aug-07 08:04:20

My ds was fine after his MMR. As long as you have the calpol at the ready it will be fine. If anything they tend to be a bit more sleepy so the car journey will help with that

LIZS Tue 28-Aug-07 08:06:40

She might be fine. Vomitting is quite extreme a reaction but a temperature and cold symptoms may appear after a few days. I would n't put the weekend on hold just in case , take Calpol/Nurofen with you and warn your parents that she may be subdued.

bozza Tue 28-Aug-07 08:09:48

I agree with the others. Neither of mine had particular reacions immediately after the MMR - it was a good while later and then only mild. DS had swollen glands.

berolina Tue 28-Aug-07 08:10:40

ds was fine after MMR, not even a temp or sleepiness (the way I felt about giving it is irrelevant here). I wouldn't cancel, esp because it can also take several days for any reaction to appear. Tbh children can become ill at any time, from all manner of causes.

Trinityrhino Tue 28-Aug-07 08:11:41

I don't think your crazy. my dd's only had a slight temp a few hours after.

LaDiDaDi Tue 28-Aug-07 08:12:36

I don't think you're crazy at all. Dd had no discernable reaction to it at all.

Agree with others, my DD didnt have any reactions to MMR. She fell asleep in the pram on the way home and slept a bit longer than usual but otherwise no problems. Just make sure you have calpol just in casesmile

dogbert Tue 28-Aug-07 08:15:00

Ditto everyone else.

The car journey should be fine - take Calpol and a cup of water. Does she have a favourite DVD/storytape that she can curl up with at your parents should she not feel like playing or going out for walks etc.

fillyjonk Tue 28-Aug-07 08:16:52

Not at all

Both mine were fine, I think most kids are.

but a small reaction of some sort is common and NORMAL and shows that the vaccine is doing its job-triggering the body to make antibodies.

Olihan Tue 28-Aug-07 08:17:32

Neither of my dcs had any side effects after the MMR. IIRC, the nurse said the side effects usually take a week to show up anyway. Take plenty of calpol if you're worried but chances are, she'll be fine.

RubySlippers Tue 28-Aug-07 08:18:49

My DS was absolutely fine after his MMR
no reaction at all ... i think it is 7 - 10 days after that they can be a bit grouchy

belgo Tue 28-Aug-07 08:23:37

you may be lucky and have the reaction that my dd2 had - she slept lots more then normal in the day after her jab.

luckymummy74 Tue 28-Aug-07 08:30:45

thanks so much everyone....a massive help. I feel much happier now!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now