Talk

Advanced search

Diagnosed with mastitis but nervous about breast cancer

(17 Posts)
dahliaaa Fri 03-Jan-20 22:58:32

(I haven't breast fed for 15 years.)
Couple of days ago breast became very painful in lower and inner area. Felt very hard compared to other breast. Then the same area (quite large) went red.
No temperature or other signs of infection.
GP has diagnosed non lactating mastitis and prescribed antibiotics and I'm going back in a few days.
Mastitis seems very rare though if not breast feeding and because no other signs of infection like a temperature I've become quite anxious about possible IBC.
Has anyone got any experience. Thanks

OP’s posts: |
dahliaaa Fri 03-Jan-20 22:59:11

Sorry should have said - inflammatory breast cancer

PracticallySpeaking Fri 03-Jan-20 23:11:43

I had this a couple of months ago after not breastfeeding for 2 years. Turns out I had a miscarriage and I think it was the change in hormones that triggered mastitis.

Sorry I don’t have anything useful to say, just that I sympathize with you and hope it’s just mastitis that will pass quickly - I was terrified about IBC too and really panicked that the doctor would miss it because it’s so different to other types of breast cancer.

I didn’t have a temperature either. It went away on it’s own eventually without antibiotics - I just kept massaging it under a hot shower.

Try not to worry too much (I know easier said than done). I think non-lactating mastitis is rare but does still occur (especially in women who have breast fed in the past), and IBC is probably rarer still

dahliaaa Fri 03-Jan-20 23:14:06

Thank you replying. Sorry about your miscarriage thanks.
Interesting what you say about changing hormones as I am definitely perimenopausal.

SnowsInWater Sun 05-Jan-20 11:10:42

I don't want to freak you out but I would insist on an ultrasound, I woke up one day last year with a sore red boob, if I was younger I would have thought mastitis. I was 56. Three days later I had a diagnosis of Stage 3 IBC and was told how often doctors miss it and send you home with antibiotics. Chemo started ten days later. Are you tired? Tbh that was my only symptom. Please get checked out and come back to tell us all is well.

dahliaaa Sun 05-Jan-20 15:19:01

Hi SnowsinWinter I hope you are doing ok now.
Thanks for replying - the GP asked me to go to a follow up appointment next week so if the antibiotics haven't cleared it then I'll definitely ask to be referred.

dahliaaa Sun 05-Jan-20 16:00:56

Ps I AM tired but to be honest that could be down to anything because had a very stressful / busy end to last year.

SnowsInWater Mon 06-Jan-20 07:18:11

Glad you have a follow up, let us know how you go, I am now cancer free after chemo, a double mastectomy and radiation treatment. Only five years of hormone tablets to go now 😂

dahliaaa Mon 06-Jan-20 14:50:39

Oh you've really been through the mill @SnowsinWinter thanks

(My DH has cancer so I've got a bit of an understanding of how difficult it must have been for you.) Thanks for taking the time to highlight the risk !

ClientListQueen Mon 06-Jan-20 15:08:57

I had mastitis - never given birth! V similar to how you describe

dahliaaa Mon 06-Jan-20 16:13:29

That's useful to know Clientlist - thanks

Rugbymumof2 Mon 06-Jan-20 21:53:56

My sister who has no children had it at 40, sore breast and felt lumpy, sent for tests as initially mastitis wasn't in the picture they ruled out anything worrying and it was diagnosed as mastitis

dahliaaa Mon 06-Jan-20 22:47:04

Thanks Rugbymum.

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Tue 07-Jan-20 00:10:48

I BF 5 dc's and never had mastitis i got to peri meno age and got it two years running, second time i ended up with an abscess.

I was treated with antibiotics but both times it took weeks to go, the first time i was referred to one stop breat clinic and had mammogram and a core biopsy second time i had a needel aspiration as there was a pocket of fluid left after infection cleared up.
Both times it was diagnosed as mastitis, fortunately have had no trouble since.

CaptainNancy1 Tue 07-Jan-20 13:57:16

I've had mastitis long after having children. My GP prescribed antibiotics and asked me to return. After examining my breasts again she thought they felt lumpy and referred me to the breast clinic. A mammogram showed some cysts which I had treated.

dahliaaa Tue 07-Jan-20 15:30:11

Thanks so much for the replies on this.
(I'm definitely very firmly in peri menopause so it's useful to know that someone else had mastitis at same time.)

(I'm generally a bit nervous about health things because my lovely DH has a very serious cancer diagnosis.)

I've been in the antibiotics for 3 days now and the red 'rash' area is still there slightly but much reduced. There is still some soreness too but that is also significantly reduced.
I guess if it was something else then they wouldn't have improved (?)

The only thing that still really stands out is that breast has much more prominent veins than the other at the moment (v noticeable difference.)

SnowsInWater Sat 11-Jan-20 23:42:54

That does sound like the antibiotics are working, glad to hear it 😊

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »