Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Copper coil (non-hormonal)

(9 Posts)
PersonalClown Mon 27-Aug-07 14:36:14

Does anyone have one of the these fitted?
I'm due to have one fitted in a few weeks and wanted to know how it affected everyone.
I can't have the hormones as they trigger migranes now (after tears of the pill/patch)
How much can I expect my periods to change?
Will I get more/worse PMT? etc

Thanks all.

runnyhabbit Mon 27-Aug-07 14:45:59

Hi

My periods were v heavy the first few months after having my first coil fitted after ds1, but they were regular, and settled down after a while. They were heavier than normal, but because they were so regular, I was prepared, iyswim, and tbh honest, I'd had so much trouble with the pill previously, heavy periods were a small price to pay.
Have just had another fitted after having ds2, but haven't had any periods as I'm bf.

PMT virtually disappeared (cue v happy dhgrin)

It is uncomfortable having it fitted (bit like a smear) and felt like I had a period type cramp for the rest of the day, so take paracetemol before you go.

BBBee Mon 27-Aug-07 14:47:40

it really vaires - som epeople it is a nightmare other it is great.

For me it is great - my periods are fine and regular and PMT the same. I hate the hormone aspect of contraception so this was an obiovus choice for me and it is a good choice for my lifestyle and my body.

If you do a search you will see the HUGE variation of reactions - ther was a thread yestrday about someone having theirs taken out because of the problmes it had caused. It think it is a case of suck it and see.

Hope it works for you.

BBBee Mon 27-Aug-07 14:48:33

hmm that 'suck it and see' bit sounds a bit odd but you know what I mean!

PersonalClown Mon 27-Aug-07 14:54:11

I'm all for giving it a go. I just wanted to be prepared!
My doc told me to take ibuprofen before and then co-codamol afterwards if the pain was bad! I love my doc.
My periods are currently very light. One day of 'normal' bleeding and 3 days of spotting. I can usually get away with a large pantyliner on those days.
I guess I can always have it taken out if it doesn't work out.
Thanks ladies.

orangina Mon 27-Aug-07 14:56:48

I've had a coil fitted (copper, non hormone...) after the birth of our ds (who was conceived whilst I was using the persona machine as contraceptive...!). It's been great so far, no problems having it fitted (had it done a couple of months after ds was born, everything still pretty stretched etc, didn't feel a thing), periods slightly heavier and last for slightly longer. Slightly crampier too. Haven't noticed any change in PMT, don't think I ever really suffered from it before tbh. Would so far recommend it, expecially over the hormone coil; a few friends of mine who had that fitted said it really affected their moods, made them feel down etc. Agree with runnyhabbit, take paracetamol before it's fitted.

BBBee Mon 27-Aug-07 14:57:03

insertion was no where near as bad as I thought. Deep breaths and think of the seaside!

PersonalClown Mon 27-Aug-07 14:58:51

I'm taking my iPod with me!!

grouchyoscar Mon 27-Aug-07 15:24:41

Had one for 4 years after DS was born (using the withdrawal/rhythmn method before and what do you call people who use those?.....yep.....Parents grin

It's never been a problem, the insertion was very straightforwards, like a smear. Just relax and think of somewhere nice.

My periods have been pretty regular (they have been a bit erratic recently but I've put that down to stress etc etc) A bit heavier but I was heavy to start with.

No PMT, No weight gain and no panic if you forget a tablet or having to ask if and other meds affect it.

Just check the strings once a month to make sure it's still there.

I wouldn't switch to anything else

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now