Talk

Advanced search

Weird one - anyone ever had migraine-type symptoms after a bowel movement?

(6 Posts)
BeeFarseer Tue 31-Dec-19 19:28:06

This isn't me, it's my DH. I'll start off by saying that he is trying to get a GP appointment but hasn't had any luck so far as all this has happened over Christmas and the GP is only seeing emergencies. He'll keep trying.

He's had two episodes of whatever this is, over the last few days, and it was only the second episode that made us realise the trigger was an unpleasant bowel movement.

DH has history of migraine and IBS but this is very different.

Almost immediately after getting off the toilet, he's experiencing pins and needles in his hands and feet, hives all over his arms, nausea, vertigo, and going very very flushed. DH describes it as feeling like a migraine without the headache, and it went away the first time when he slept for the night and the whole of the next day.

I have no idea where to even start with this and I know it's definitely something for the GP, but has anyone got any ideas?!

OP’s posts: |
GrandmaSharksDentures Tue 31-Dec-19 19:30:39

There is a link between opening your bowels & a drop in blood pressure & heart rate (this is why old people often die on the toilet). He definitely needs to see a GP ASAP. If possible, try to convince him not to lock the door when having a poo (just in case he faints)

BeeFarseer Tue 31-Dec-19 19:50:57

Thank you, that's interesting and definitely sensible advice!

I know I can't do anything but I want to feel useful. I think I'm just scared this is going to be a major health problem.

StillMedusa Tue 31-Dec-19 22:40:12

Vasovagal syncope... believe it or not it's not that uncommon..and it isn't dangerous (tho obviously get anything else ruled out first)

www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/vasovagal-syncope/symptoms-causes/syc-20350527

BeeFarseer Wed 01-Jan-20 17:31:58

I found that result, but it doesn't quite fit all the symptoms. Nothing about hives, for example. He also doesn't go pale or clammy, he goes pink all over like he's had a but too much sun.

We'll have to ring the GP from all the phones in the house tomorrow morning to even stand a chance of an appointment.

BeeFarseer Sat 04-Jan-20 19:49:18

DH saw the GP who quite bluntly said it would be like looking for a needle in a haystack with those symptoms. Full bloods were ordered, and various samples. One of the possible causes mentioned was coeliac disease so that's being tested for as well.

DH has antihistamines to take daily in the meantime. Blood results should be back next week.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »