Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

cradle cap & facial dermititis - HELP

(11 Posts)
Christiesparks Mon 27-Aug-07 10:00:36

my 4 week old has awful dry flaky skin on her forehead, all around her eyes and her mouth and in her neck folds. So far she doesn't have any obvious cradle cap flakes on her scalp. I'd be really really grateful for any dry skin tips - the cream we used for her older bro (who had similar as babe) doesn't seem to be working.
I would be really grateful for any info.
Thank you very much.

seeker Mon 27-Aug-07 10:10:21

My ds had dreadful skin. I used almond oil because my mother recommended it, but I suppose thinking about it you shouldn't because of potential allergies. If you can find another non nut based light oil, I used to ruba tiny bit between my hands then stroke it onto the driest bits. I also practically never bathed him, and by about 8 weeks it had sorted itself out. I found the aquaous cream the health visitor recommended completely useless, but I know some people swear by it.

fryalot Mon 27-Aug-07 10:10:23

the thick baby oil gel stuff is really good. I used it on both my littlies.

Whooosh Mon 27-Aug-07 10:12:29

Olive oil for the scalp-left on overnight and Aveeno for the skin-worked for us.

REIDmylips Mon 27-Aug-07 10:12:57

this was recommended for ds when he had very dry skin on his forehead. It worked wonders. its cheap too, a huge tub for only a few pounds from boots.

fryalot Mon 27-Aug-07 10:13:31

and, what seeker said about the baths - they don't need a bath every night and if they have dry skin it will make it worse. Keep baths to an absolute minimum

cookiesandcream Mon 27-Aug-07 10:22:51

I cured my sons cadle cap overnight when he was a few months old by smothering his head in oilatum moisturising lotion before bed then in the morning I combed it out with a nit comb - the cradle cap just came away. I can vaguely remember repeating the process a couple of days later but that was it gone!

cookiesandcream Mon 27-Aug-07 10:25:37

My sisters lo had dry skin all over his face it looked horrible - she got rid of the flaky bits using cotton wool and olive oil - it had built up quite badly but soon cleared.
I use oilatum in the bath for my son and oilatum cream on his dry skin - both on prescription.

BarbieGirl Mon 27-Aug-07 10:27:47

Dntinox is good however I am not sure if your baby might be too young to use it (can't remember). My DS has suffered cradle cap since birth and has Seborrheic eczema which is basically cradle cap that starts on the scalp and spreads down the body - very unsightly but harmless, i.e it doesn't bother the child.

My DS has just turned 2 and still has it. His scalp is really bad at the moment but I cannot use Dentinox as he has Atopic eczema too - it stings him.

I too am wondering what I can use on him. I will watch this thread.

What age do they grow out of cradle cap? My DS has just turned 2.

Anna8888 Mon 27-Aug-07 11:07:54

On cradle cap - in England I have seen/heard people say that you should wash your baby's head/hair as little as possible but here in France they say to wash your baby's head/hair extremely well every day.

I did the latter and it worked brilliantly.

MatNanPlus Mon 27-Aug-07 11:12:40

lots of olive oil, gently massaged into the scalp and skin and then wipe the skin with cotton wool soaked in olive oil it softens and lifts the flakey stuff off and moisturises the skin, on the scalp gently comb from forehead to back of scalp.

Repeat as needed.

The skin will look quite red afterwards but within half an hour all is back to normal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now