Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

adult incontinence

(5 Posts)
ItsPotatoesForYouMyLad Fri 24-Aug-07 22:32:17

I think I have a problem with continence, but am too embarrassed to do anything about it. I've had 2 c-sections 4.5 and 1.5 years ago. In recent weeks it's got much worse, I am passing urine up to every hour during the day, but not waking to at night. At times need to go so suddenly I don't get there in time.
I realise I ought to talk to dr, but just can not face it without knowing a bit more. I've read on searchs about internal exams etc.
Has anyone had anything similar and what happens?

TotalChaos Fri 24-Aug-07 22:35:40

I haven't, but a relative of mine has had these sort of problems. Please try not to be too embarassed to go to the dr - could be something as simple as a water infection causing the recent problems. My relative did have an internal to check for prolapse - but I don't know whether that would be routine or not.

walbert Fri 24-Aug-07 22:35:54

Can't help you re the wee (!), but re not being abkle to face thedoc's, I had a bad botty pain (no hubby involvement grin ) and after two sleepless nights, had to see the doc. I picked the oldest gp as i thought he'd have seen most bums, and had to 'remove the lower clothes and climb on to thebed' with legs pulled up, baring EVERYTHING to have my botty cheeks shifted and be told i had a very impressive pile!!! Honestly, from someone who was mortified and couldn't even look at the gp as i said 'i have a problem with my bottom' i can say they will not be phased in the slightest, so go see the gp!!

ambercat Fri 24-Aug-07 22:40:23

I had similar symptoms to you (frequency but only peeing a tiny amount each time and urgency) and it turned out to be a uti.

3 day course of trimethoprin and i was fine.

Go and see your gp, it will be a bit embarassing but worth it to put your mind at restsmile

fortyplus Fri 24-Aug-07 22:45:23

Incontinence can be psychological. A friend who's a District Nurse told me about a phenomenon called 'Latchkey Incontinence' where people let go a full bladder's worth when they get home even though they'd been holding on fine till then. You may feel a lesser form of this eg once you get to the loo and undo your trousers suddenly you can't control it.

Try not to be embarrassed - medical people deal with this all the time smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now