Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

The continuing saga of DH's sore leg!

(10 Posts)
saltire Fri 24-Aug-07 11:28:18

As some of you will know DH has a sore leg. It started last weekend and he wasn't right - very sore, difficulty moving, feeling cold etc. He thought it was a groin strain from the gym. The pain was in his groin and going down his leg.Anyway he went to the Doc on Tuesday who told him it was a groin strain, put him on light duties and told him to put lots of heat on it - hot water bottles, bath etc and to take paracetamol.

All was well for a couple of days until yesterday. he came home from work hardly able to walk again, and the pain has gone from his groin, but its in his hip. If he presses just below the hip bone he says the pain is unbearable, and he hasn't slept again last night. He even took two of my painkillers last night to try and help with it. He can't walk, can't sit for long, can't lie for long.

I think its a trapped nerve, but looking on the internet all trapped nerves seem to come from the back and spine, whereas his has always been groin/top of leg area.

I also wondered if it could be sciatica but again it says that it originates in the lower back and spine. The doctor told him if its no better to go back on Tuesday. I have told him to stay in bed for most of today, as even if he doesn't sleep it will rest the leg.

ib Fri 24-Aug-07 11:42:42

IME you rarely feel a really bad trapped nerve in the back, the pain is usually referred. Can he go see an osteopath?

saltire Fri 24-Aug-07 11:45:46

He is also saying his leg feels like a really heavy weight, he says he also feels like cramp in his foot - you know when your foot goes all tense because you have cramp in it, well his is like that, but its not cramped IYSWIM.
He struggles to get out of bed, and when he tries to put any weight on the leg he is nearly crying with the pain.
Maybe the doc will send him to osteopath, but he won't see him until Tuesday

saggarmakersbottomknocker Fri 24-Aug-07 17:14:47

If he's in that much pain saltire I'd be inclined to have him back to the GP sooner. Did the 'shivers' go or are they still hanging around? If the was a child I'd be thinking 'irritable hip', or post infection arthritis (which I've had and it was vile).

Tigana Fri 24-Aug-07 17:16:29

Sciatica does originate in lower back/spine but the pain itself is usually felt in the leg, often down the back of the leg.

saltire Fri 24-Aug-07 19:49:51

sagger - its a military doctor and they just work when they feel like it! Not open until Monday, The shivers have gone though, but he is now complaining of muscle aches in other parts of his body!

DumbledoresGirl Fri 24-Aug-07 19:53:25

Saltire, have you considered the possibility of it being a slipped disc? I don't know much about this but years ago, my mother had pain in her leg and it turned out she had shattered discs in her back - worse that slipped discs, but the pain can occur in the same place apparently.

Also, a few years back she had an op on her knee and also a hip replaced and she now has pain in her hip but it is apparently caused by the knee rather than her hip replacement. My point is that the site of the pain is not necessarily the source of the problem.

Just a thought.

pooka Fri 24-Aug-07 19:53:45

I really really think it'd be good to try and see someone soon. It is evidently not getting better, and it doesn't sound like groin strain.

lulumama Fri 24-Aug-07 19:55:50

have to echo DG here ( hi , DG !)
my dad had odd pains down leg, cramp, pins and needles, leg felt dead..was a disk problem, and the disk had to be removed, and the problem is almost resolved, although he does have some residual numbness, but he is healthy and goes to the gym and is ok

noddyholder Fri 24-Aug-07 19:58:56

I think with teh shivers and aches aswell it sounds rheumatic and he should go to a and e if it continues.If he takes soluble aspirin and it eases it is likely to be inflammation Paracetomol does nothing for that sort of pain.I agree tuesday is too long to be in that sort of pain

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: