Talk

Advanced search

Scoliosis, DS20.

(6 Posts)
Miljea Sat 14-Dec-19 00:36:33

Tonight,first night home from uni for Xmas, sitting square, no top on ๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ˜Š DS leaned forward to do something with a slipper, and I can see his spine isn't straight. I didn't say anything to him. He's very skinny and doing the old gym/ protein powder thing in a haphazard way, like they do!

I have some scoliosis (15 degree). I'm 57.

Should I do anything about it? It isn't much, but does he need alerting to Pilates style exercises? Physio? I know that a bit of a curve aged 20 is one thing in a slim young man, but can lead to chronic back pain in later life.

WWYD?

OPโ€™s posts: |
greenflamingo Sat 14-Dec-19 00:38:47

I have very mild scoliosis and as a late teen was reviewed by a consultant and needed no further treatment. But it affected the effectiveness of a spinal block later on in life so I was glad I knew about it.

Maybe tell him you have it and you wonder if he has it mildly too and suggest a visit to the GP.

Miljea Sat 14-Dec-19 00:48:30

Thank you. That's helpful.

My lower back draws gasps from my MRI colleagues, it's so spectacularly bad (40 years of NHS manual handling, later!) including an idiopathic crush fracture of T11!

I am wondering if I can turn his new 'fitness fad' to his advantage in strengthening his spine.

I had an epidural in the 'exciting' stages of giving birth. I was numb from my nipples to my hips. Felt the rest! ๐Ÿ˜‚

Dontsayyouloveme Sun 15-Dec-19 21:30:30

Yes definite take him to see a GP. It would need monitoring I would imagine and exercises to help strengthen the muscles either side of the spine.

Speaking from someone who has idiopathic scoliosis is from age of 13 and at 48 it is now severe. I am very aware my son could develop it also and surreptitiously look at him at all times to keep an eye out.

Surfskatefamily Sun 15-Dec-19 21:33:02

Definitly gp..I've got scoliosis and physio helps. Best he knows to keep track of it through life

Miljea Fri 20-Dec-19 00:39:27

Thanks, all.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started ยป