Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Oh Sh*t..I've just given DS3 10mls of nurofen when it should have been 5ml.....

(11 Posts)
LadyTophamHatt Thu 23-Aug-07 20:35:01

he'll be 4 next month and teh bottle says 7.5 mls fro 4-6 yr olds so he's only over by 2.5 mls if we fast forward time by a few weeks making him 4 already....

but he's only little, he's tiny for very nearly 4.

shit shit shit shit

waiting for the out of hours GP to call back....

bonkerz Thu 23-Aug-07 20:36:52

wont do him any harm. dont panic. think he would have to have 10 x that to be a problem!

bran Thu 23-Aug-07 20:37:22

Don't worry, really. The recommended doses are well within safe limits. I think you only need to start worrying seek advice if it's more than 5 times the recommended dose.

ledodgy Thu 23-Aug-07 20:37:38

I'm sure he'll be fine my best friend gave her dd 5 mils instead of the 2.5 that she should have had and she was ok.

charliecat Thu 23-Aug-07 20:37:53

dont stress, i never used the spoon and my kids have lived to tell the tale.

MrsCarrot Thu 23-Aug-07 20:43:42

Hi LTH.

When I phoned the doctors after dd (2) got ibuprofen (pink shiny ones) from the bottom of a handbag and mixed them in a bowl like smarties, he didn't seem concerned in the least. He said even if she had eaten some, and he didn't think she would have, then it might make her sick. It isn't nearly as bad as paracetomol apparently, though I still felt like a suitably shit mother.

I'm sure that little bit extra is fine

LadyTophamHatt Thu 23-Aug-07 20:51:35

do you know?

i don't knwo why I wasted my money on the phone call to the GP. He just called and said pretty much exactly what you all just said.

I LOVE mumsnet.

Legacy Thu 23-Aug-07 20:52:15

Call NHS Direct - they will put you through to the National Poisons Unit (sounds scarey, I know) who will tell you not to worry, as it's not enough to cause him real harm.

Legacy Thu 23-Aug-07 20:52:33

Sorry - X posted!

Blandmum Thu 23-Aug-07 20:55:39

It is always best to check with a proper medic if something like this happens, however I used to work for the company that invented ibuprofen and it is very hard to OD on it

WideWebWitch Thu 23-Aug-07 20:57:08

stop panicking, it'll be fine, really. Oh see people already told you this!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now