Talk

Advanced search

Anyone had Morton’s Neuroma?

(11 Posts)
biggirlknickers Thu 12-Dec-19 22:09:34

I’m having a scan for this on my foot in a few weeks. I’ve never heard of it before. I’ve been in pain while walking for months now. Some days it’s so bad I’m considering getting crutches.

Anyone got any experience?

OP’s posts: |
CMOTDibbler Fri 13-Dec-19 09:18:25

DH has had three removed, and now has another one which he'll have dealt with next year. He had the steroid/anaesthetic injection to begin with which didn't work, and then surgery (both feet at once). He had to rest with his feet right up for 2 weeks, and then was pretty much back to normal just with swollen feet.
Shoe insoles which are specific to mortons relief help in the meantime

biggirlknickers Fri 13-Dec-19 16:44:09

Thank you @CMOTDibbler

I knew I might need an operation but I didn’t know it could come back sad
Can I ask a couple of questions please:

How long was it better for before it came back?

How old is he?

Is he overweight? I’m quite overweight and wondering if losing weight would help with this.

biggirlknickers Fri 13-Dec-19 16:45:16

Oh, and did he need crutches at any point?

RB68 Fri 13-Dec-19 16:48:09

Losing weight will always help with leg and feet issues (sorry) other foot conditions like fallen arches won't help and again these are exacerbated by weight.

I would ask for a referal to physio or podiatrist for shoe insert manufacture to relieve it but also try and loose some weight

Not being mobile or having limited mobility is miserable

Hearhoovesthinkzebras Fri 13-Dec-19 16:48:58

I've got 3 and Morton's bursitis too. Not had surgery for them. Was told it's not that successful and only done as a last resort. Mine is due to hypermobility so they're certain they will come back anyway.

WheresMyChocolate Fri 13-Dec-19 16:51:10

I had it. I had a steroid injection and have only ever had the occasional twinge since. Had it done 20 years ago.

SingingLily Fri 13-Dec-19 16:53:59

I second what CMOTDribbler says.

I had it first in one foot - excruciating pain, OP, so you have my sympathy - and then, because I favoured the "good foot" over the painful one, ended up with it in the good foot too.

I had an operation on each foot separately, and six weeks apart. The relief from pain was immediate. Each foot healed up nicely and I haven't had an ounce of trouble since - and that was 15 years ago. There has been no return.

Good luck.

CMOTDibbler Fri 13-Dec-19 16:55:03

It can't come back, its just he is very good at growing the blasted things - its really rare to have two. He's 47 and a bit fat, but the surgeon said it was his very high arched feet that was the issue

CaptainBrickbeard Fri 13-Dec-19 16:58:58

I had one in each foot. Hyper mobility and high arches here too! I had them operated on and a couple of years later I have no trouble anymore. Living pain free is bliss!

Wear shoes with a wide toe box - never, ever pointed toes! You don’t want any pressure on the sides of your feet. I buy my shoes in places like Hotter now. The ability to walk is worth it!

Hairybauble Fri 13-Dec-19 17:02:18

I had the alcohol injections on private insurance when the steroid ones didn't work. The alcohol ones hurt like billyo and didn't work either.

I no longer work in an office so favour trainers / Uggs / Crocs rather than surgery because surgery may not work (hypermobile here too) and I don't want to be off my feet with small children.

If I knew for sure it would work, I would invest the £1000 in cryotherapy.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »