Talk

Advanced search

Iron deficiency- really low, any advice please!

(11 Posts)
funkystars123 Thu 12-Dec-19 11:12:21

Hi

I have been feeling run down for ever!! But the last couple of weeks have felt through the floor... I can't think, walk and struggle to get out of bed.

I have a busy job, kids with additional needs etc so have just 'carried on' but this week I just couldn't!

I had blood tests that show I have low ferritin (5.5) and am anaemic (10)

I have arranged for a iron infusion tomorrow as I need to get back on my feet.

Any advice? Or experience really welcomed, feeling very low and frustrated at the moment- it's Christmas and I can't get out of bed...,

OP’s posts: |
00100001 Thu 12-Dec-19 11:13:03

What does your doctor say?

funkystars123 Thu 12-Dec-19 11:15:10

He prescribed iron tablets and said it would take a couple of months....

I want to do everything i can to get well as quickly as possible so looking for any experiences around diet etc...

endofthelinefinally Thu 12-Dec-19 11:28:22

Take your iron with vitamin C and never with tea or coffee. You will absorb 4 times as much.
Your gp needs to investigate why you are anaemic. It is really important to rule out blood loss from somewhere.

endofthelinefinally Thu 12-Dec-19 11:30:18

I was terribly anaemic when I was perimenopausal because I was bleeding all the time. I took iron, but I needed a mirena coil to stop the bleeding.

funkystars123 Thu 12-Dec-19 11:36:15

I thibk its my heavy bleeding- tried a mirena last year but it didn't agree with me but have a gyne appointment in new year and some tablets to minimise the bleeding fit my next couple of periods.

endofthelinefinally Thu 12-Dec-19 11:43:23

I hope they can help you. It is miserable bleeding like that. flowers

danni0509 Thu 12-Dec-19 11:45:18

Can you take some spatone sachets?

There is one I think it's the Apple one that has added vit c to increase absorption.

funkystars123 Thu 12-Dec-19 11:53:28

Thank yoh @endofthelinefinally

Santasy Thu 12-Dec-19 11:57:19

Red meat! Seriously, a steak will help.
Spatone is for maintaining already decent iron levels so stick with your prescription iron tablets (and prune juice!).

When I was anaemic recently that was the advice from my doctor and the red meat thing made an immediate difference.

novacaneforthepain Thu 12-Dec-19 11:59:00

I'm sorry to be morbid, but Can I please suggest that you are checked for bowel cancer, as this can be a sign and some GPS do miss it

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »