Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I'm looking at my Mooncup in its box and thinking...

(64 Posts)
Mung Thu 23-Aug-07 15:27:16

...it seems like a good idea, but can I do it? DH made me laugh when he commented on the fact that Mooncup users must be weird and that he loved the way they 'dressed it up in a bag with pink ribbon'. Looking at it in the flesh scares me a bit. Did you users out there practice before using it for real?

BadZelda Thu 23-Aug-07 15:36:06

Hey - I was considering getting one of these...haven't taken the plunge yet though. Would be interested to know how you get on when you try it...

ZoeC Thu 23-Aug-07 15:36:28

I used a towel for back up, but I didn't use it when I didn't have a period iyswim. I just wasn't sure I could get it to seal right.

Takes a bit of getting used to, it is the only thing I make the dd's stay OUT of the bathroom for me to do and I'm not sure I'd admit to using it in polite conversation but in truth, I do love it and I wouldn't use anything else now I'm used to it.

Getting used to it too 2 or 3 cycles though before I stopped worrying about whether I would lose it or not get it out.....

expatinscotland Thu 23-Aug-07 15:36:58

It took me about 3 cycles to really get the hang of it, but I'm so glad I stuck it out!

Mooncups are FAB!

Sheherazadethegoat Thu 23-Aug-07 15:37:42

do it! you won't look back.

Sheherazadethegoat Thu 23-Aug-07 15:40:20

we should have a faq about moon cups.

q. how much of the thingy should i chop off

a. all of it unless you have some sort of freaky tardis thing going on.

q. how do i use it out and about

a. go to a disabled loo or just wipe it out with tissue.

q. is it messy

a. no not normally but everyone has a cack handed day where they fling it everywhere.

Pruners Thu 23-Aug-07 15:41:57

Message withdrawn

Pruners Thu 23-Aug-07 15:42:50

Message withdrawn

Sheherazadethegoat Thu 23-Aug-07 15:43:50

oh pruners you are the first long one i have heard of!

Pruners Thu 23-Aug-07 15:45:34

Message withdrawn

Mung Thu 23-Aug-07 15:47:43

Did you use towels as back up whilst getting used to it, or did you just go for it?

TooTicky Thu 23-Aug-07 15:47:54

Just go for it, but make sure you have a quiet moment - it's much harder if you're panicking that somebody will come hurtling in and start asking questions.

TooTicky Thu 23-Aug-07 15:48:19

I have never used any back up.

Mung Thu 23-Aug-07 15:53:32

BadZelda. I read loads of threads here on MN and that is what convinced me to buy it, but once I saw it for real I chickened out and its still in its pretty bag with pink ribbon. I am going to have a go when I find a quiet moment. Its like using tampons for the first time all over again...I remember going through a whole box of 12 and feeling really scared about the whole thing.

I was almost insulted though when the lady (actually a girl i used to teach) in the shop just automatically gave me the A size

Pruners Thu 23-Aug-07 17:51:27

Message withdrawn

CarGirl Thu 23-Aug-07 17:55:57

the best thing about using the mooncup was it made me realise just how heavy my periods were and gave me good cause to go to the gp and get them sorted out!

Also far less irritation than using tampons.

lailasmum Thu 23-Aug-07 17:56:29

I have used one of these for quite a while maybe 18 months (Am currently pregnant so its in its little bag waiting.) Just have a go. You may find it hard first time if you are tense but they are so hassle free in the long term its definitely worth it. I found I chopped nearly all the tail off but just do a bit at a time and then see. Give it a go and if you do leak at all it may be because you haven't quite got it in properly or the tail is a little long.

fleacircus Thu 23-Aug-07 17:59:20

I would say take care over cutting the tail off, follow the instructions and try it out each time you take more off. I've still got a diddy bit left and would worry about losing it otherwise!

It takes a bit of getting used to but I've never used backup - am lucky because the beginning of my cycle is very light so when I first started with it I had a couple of days to get used to it before the 'all hell breaks lose' stage.

milkymill Thu 23-Aug-07 18:09:43

Mooncups are fantastic! You'll wonder how you did without it for so long.

P.s It's not fair,how come i've ended up with green ribbon instead of 'pretty pink'?

NoBiggy Thu 23-Aug-07 18:16:04

Milkymill, someone thinks you are small around the fanjo.

How would they get that impression then?

GodzillasBumcheek Thu 23-Aug-07 18:21:25

Have just googled to find out properly what a mooncup is. Sounds like a good idea, but has anyone who uses it ever had any trouble with tampons? I tried them and had to go back to towels as tampons made the cramps alot worse. Would a mooncup be the same?

FrannyandZooey Thu 23-Aug-07 18:26:51

Mung I practised first - just wet it with tap water or have a go in the bath to make it easier. I can honestly say that IME it becomes very comfortable and easy very fast. And makes your periods so much more pleasant - I feel positive about them now instead of blah.

NoBiggy Thu 23-Aug-07 18:28:04

Godzillasbumcheek, I bought a Mooncup at the Womad festival last month, haven't used it yet, but while I was buying it a woman came over and said her cramps disappeared when she used a Mooncup.

GodzillasBumcheek Thu 23-Aug-07 18:34:48

Interesting...would anyone else corroborate that?

lailasmum Thu 23-Aug-07 18:36:45

I have found that mooncup s are far better than tampons and lots of people have told me that the main difference is that stuff like chemicals in the tampons/towels can aggravate people where as the mooncup is basically an inert material.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now