Talk

Advanced search

Caffeine withdrawal ... help!

(18 Posts)
Rocsand03 Mon 09-Dec-19 19:25:16

Hi I’ve been trying for years on and off to give up coffee and just caffeine in general.... i can’t 😫... can anyone please please offer me ways to actually stay awake through giving it up as I feel it’s coffee especially that I rely on to keep me awake

OP’s posts: |
1990shopefulftm Mon 09-Dec-19 19:28:06

i had to go cold turkey from caffiene for health reasons, i find very cold glasses of water helpful to stay awake.

magicmallow Mon 09-Dec-19 19:32:19

can't you gradually wean off it - add a bit of decaff then gradually work down to fully decaff or something?

tea is good, it's not as caffeinated.

water should keep you hydrated also

NotStayingIn Mon 09-Dec-19 19:32:46

Why do you want to give it up? (Personally I wouldn’t unless I had to for health reasons. Love it too much!)

Rocsand03 Mon 09-Dec-19 20:41:12

Yep it’s for health reasons. I’ve tried going without and the longest had been a couple of months but I’ve never managed again. I get soo tired, sore head, horrible feeling. I really can’t do tea as it gives me a terrible headache but I really can’t do without hot drinks in general

GoldfishGirl Tue 10-Dec-19 01:01:27

Don't go cold turkey. I made that mistake a couple of times with tea. Five days of constant headache.

I managed to get my tea down to just under half a cup, by cutting down about a fingers worth a day with no withdrawal.

Now, I really need that half a cup. I have it first thing the morning and it's enough to get me going.

Maybe in the Summer I could look to give it up completely but for now I am happy it's under control.

Coffee alternatives - matcha green tea, ginseng tea/supplements, a piece of ginger in hot water.

Oldmum55 Tue 10-Dec-19 09:51:21

Do you really need to give it for health reasons? Can't you just cut back gradually? I now limit myself to two cups in the morning or I wouldn't wake up. During the day I have a couple of cups of tea. Otherwise have you tried decaf?

BlastEndedSkrewt Tue 10-Dec-19 10:08:59

was going to say the same as GoldfishGirl - green tea with ginseng is really nice & wakes me up more than coffee does these days. I'm a big fan of the pukka green tea with ginseng but not sure if they still sell it as haven't found it in the shops for a while

Hairwizard Tue 10-Dec-19 10:11:46

If you are struggling try some tyrosine in the mornings instead.

Rocsand03 Tue 10-Dec-19 10:11:56

I’m afraid so yes x

5LeafClover Tue 10-Dec-19 10:26:53

Buy or make your usual cup of coffee. Pour some of it into another mug and top up with hot water.... keep the rest for your next cup. Slowly increase the number of drinks you get out of a single original cup until you either reach a level you feel better on or you are ready to switch to a different ( non caffeine) drink.

Loopytiles Tue 10-Dec-19 10:29:13

Is it for actual health reasons, eg advised by a doctor, or because you think it’ll help your health?

Cutting back, eg drinking decaff much of the time, is easier IME than cold turkey.

Loopytiles Tue 10-Dec-19 10:29:41

Sleep, exercise and healthy food are good.

stripeypillowcase Tue 10-Dec-19 10:31:38

I go for cold turkey for lent and after a few days/a week it's fine.
how is your sleep otherwise?
maybe concentrate on that and not only on the caffeine.
I find a nice spicy chai tea is a good uplifting alternative to a cuppa.

good luck!

Rocsand03 Tue 10-Dec-19 22:45:28

My doctor has advised me several times it’s not doing my body any good. My sleep can be awful as I wake up during the night

Thedevilofsmallthings Wed 11-Dec-19 18:24:54

I stopped drinking tea and coffee after 3pm to help my sleep.

After 3pm I drink apple juice diluted with boiling water, so 1cm of apple juice in a mug topped up with boiling water. Then in the evening I drink Barleycup.

I make sure my only cup of coffee in the morning is a decent one though.

Rocsand03 Wed 11-Dec-19 20:31:37

That sounds quite nice. What is barleycup?

Thedevilofsmallthings Wed 11-Dec-19 21:19:38

It's made like instant coffee, with or without milk. It's made from barley and you can buy it from health food shops. No caffeine and no sugar, I drink loads of it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »