Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Why am I so tired all the farking time, anyone know of a kick ass tonic?

(28 Posts)
oliveoil Thu 23-Aug-07 10:45:46

I could quite easily fall asleep right now

was in bed at 10pm

About 3 months ago I was very run down, had a weird sore throat thing and suspected glandular fever (wasn't in the end)

or am I just old?

gillhowe Thu 23-Aug-07 10:50:33

Could you have a dodgy thyroid? I was so exhausted I could have cried, turned out to be an underactive thyroid.

If you are inexplicably run down its probably worth going to your GP for a blood test, could be aneamic and that's easily fixed.

oliveoil Thu 23-Aug-07 10:52:10

maybe

what are the symptoms?

I eat very well, am not over or under weight

but I could easily fall asleep at any time

could be aneamic as I do not eat much red meat

nailpolish Thu 23-Aug-07 10:54:00

are you breathless, ever? thinking of anaemia
dont start eating more red meat, instead go for the spinach etc

my dad has thyroid probs, he gets night sweats and has put on weight
has huge bags under his eyes

try drinking ginger beer. its hippie red bull

nailpolish Thu 23-Aug-07 10:55:11

olive, it could be that you are not physically tired, just mentally

have you some time off work coming up? not that it means you will get a rest...i know...

oliveoil Thu 23-Aug-07 10:55:56

not breathless no

had chicken saag for dinner last night so spinach (iirc it is a myth anyway its iron content)

I just can't be arsed with anything, I clock watch until my girls go to bed as I just want to flob on the sofa (not good really)

nailpolish Thu 23-Aug-07 10:57:33

i think your diet sounds ok

from what i remember you have absolutely no time to yourslef, yes?

oliveoil Thu 23-Aug-07 10:58:02

yes

I have been sorting that out (ie: moaning)

lilymolly Thu 23-Aug-07 10:59:07

you sound just like me.

I have had every test under the sun, and I have out it down to mild depression.
I am not suggesting that is what you have, but I think sometimes the stress of modern day life catch up with us.

I love it when dd goes to bed, and I can flop on the sofa.
I find that I am particularly tired just befor my period. Maybe its a hormonal thing.
Get it checked out to rule out any physiological cause.HTH

chacha3 Thu 23-Aug-07 11:01:16

gosh i feel like that even did a pregnancy test cos was feeling tired, that sicky feeling when i got up and have had very bad tension headaches! need a tonic too! a good man perhaps lol

nailpolish Thu 23-Aug-07 11:01:35

i felt like this too when i ahd both dds at home full time

i feel much much better now that

a. i go to the gym 3 times a week and swim 5 or 6 days a week (i go when they are in bed and ive done tidying ie 8pm or so for an hr and a half)

b. dd1 is at school now

get your ass down the gym or pool. sometimes i dont actually go inside the gym i sit in the bar with a newspaper

Hurlyburly Thu 23-Aug-07 11:03:15

I went to my GP recently for the same problem. Have in fact seen the nurse for blood test and waiting for results. Apparently he tested for liver function, hormones, kidney function and thyroid function.

The GP told me that he expected they'd all come back fine. He thinks it was just too much work.

oliveoil Thu 23-Aug-07 11:03:42

yes, exercise I do need to do

I think I will go to Boots at lunch and find some potion and see how I go

gillhowe Thu 23-Aug-07 11:04:14

There's a real mixed bag of symptoms for underactive thyroid, being tired all the time, difficulty keeping weight off, I had a sore throat and a goita (lump in my neck it was really hard to see though), joint pain and loads of others - not everyone gets all the symptoms though.

if you have no time to yourself that could well be it though. Drained and in need of a break!

You could try eating loads of dried apricots for the iron? Still worth getting a blood test I reckon

ladymuck Thu 23-Aug-07 11:05:43

oo, worth getting your bloods done. underactive thyroid and anaemia both hit women of a certain age. I was amazed as to what a difference to my life a course of iron tablets made!

ladymuck Thu 23-Aug-07 11:06:24

Not that it helped my grammar or typing

nailpolish Thu 23-Aug-07 11:06:53

if you try something from boots or wahtever, give it a good 4-6 weeks to see any proper results

i get bad pmt and mood swings every 2 wks (at ovulatin and at period) i take evening primrose, vitamin b12 and a combined magnesium and calcium supplements and it helps

oliveoil Thu 23-Aug-07 11:07:15

lol

I am looking out of the window at a sun drenched cobbled square with inviting benches zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

cadelaide Thu 23-Aug-07 11:07:18

certain age?.....I'm interested

nailpolish Thu 23-Aug-07 11:08:06

is owrk dull just now?

i find that hacks me right off

oliveoil Thu 23-Aug-07 11:08:15

the 'lol' was a LM and her grammar

Ok, vitamins and docs then

and exercise

and Time. To. Myself. (do they do that on prescription?)

lucykate Thu 23-Aug-07 11:14:51

i know this isn't the case for everyone, but i actually feel more sleep i have, i more tired i feel. if i get 4 hours, i'm fine, but any longer than that, and i feel really groggy all day.

last night, i worked until midnight ( i work from home, so during the holidays only get evenings to do stuff), was in bed by 12.30am, but ds woke at 3.30am, and was awake and being obnoxious until 5.30am, but i actually don't feel too bad considering how little sleep i've had.

dh, on the other hand, is suffering today from not getting his beauty sleep

ladymuck Thu 23-Aug-07 11:28:15

"sun drenched bench" - where, where?!

I am realising that this was the one year not to experiment with "staying in the UK for the summer holdiays". I have found myself contemplating divorce, child abandonment, well almost anything, just to get some sun!

oliveoil Thu 23-Aug-07 11:29:38

oh we have sun for the next 5 days (alledgedly) <preen>

Nbg Thu 23-Aug-07 11:31:51

Vit B6 and B12 (IIRC) is good for tiredness.
I took them when I worked and perpetually tired.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now