Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

really bad nappy rash- what to use?

(32 Posts)
maisiebabe Wed 22-Aug-07 21:17:24

DD has had really red and painful nappy rash for the past couple of days- she cries when I'm cleaning with lotion/ cotton wool/ water and Sudocrem isn't working. Any ideas?

Elk Wed 22-Aug-07 21:20:05

Hi,
I used metanium cream on my dd. It is available over the counter or on prescription. Be careful though it is virilent yellow and stains everything in sight.

whomovedmychocolate Wed 22-Aug-07 21:20:22

How old is she? Can you try leaving her nappy off so she can have some naked time?

Is it diet related - is she eating citrus?

You can try beparthan - Boots sell it, it's stronger than sudocrem and a different sort of consistency.

ejt1764 Wed 22-Aug-07 21:20:57

I'd second the metanium recommendation ...

crokky Wed 22-Aug-07 21:21:19

so long as she hasn't got diahorrea (sp?) then leave nappy off for a really long time

maisiebabe Wed 22-Aug-07 21:22:20

She's nearly 10 months, we give her as much naked time as possible (she's at nursey 4 1/2 days a week). She loves satsumas!!- do they cause nappy rash??

daisyandbabybootoo Wed 22-Aug-07 21:23:04

I usually use metanium cream...you can get it in the supermarket and it doesn't appear to sting, unlike sudocreme which used to have my DS climbing the walls.

If she is really sore, try whisking up a cold egg white till it is frothy and then dab it on and allow to dry. It acts as a barrier and is very effective and a great standby. You can save the unused stuff for later, provided you haven't dabbed her bottom then gone back to the egg white.

princessparkles Wed 22-Aug-07 21:23:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

whomovedmychocolate Wed 22-Aug-07 21:23:47

YES Satsumas do cause nappy rash in some kids! Can you cut them out for five days and see what happens?

maisiebabe Wed 22-Aug-07 21:24:19

Really?? Cold egg white?? Have never ever heard of that before!!

ejt1764 Wed 22-Aug-07 21:25:51

also to add that some children get nappy rash from eating tomatoes ...

fawkeoff Wed 22-Aug-07 21:27:05

metanium or kamilosan

CrookshanksinJimmyChoos Wed 22-Aug-07 21:27:20

My Gran swears by cold egg white and if DS's rash isn't any better by tomorrow, will be doing the same thing....won't be using the left overs for meringues though unless DH does something to piss me off tonight.....<cackle>

paolosgirl Wed 22-Aug-07 21:28:13

Conotrane - works every time. A friend of mine told me about it - she's a nurse in ITU and they use it for patients there to stop/heal bed sores, alhtough it's also for nappy rash. It's only about £1.70 for a big tube and I swear by it. You buy it from the chemist.

whomovedmychocolate Wed 22-Aug-07 21:28:30

Ooh think of all the cakes you could make with the yolks too

silverfrog Wed 22-Aug-07 21:29:55

Earth Friendly Baby Red Clover cream always does the trick in this house, and dd1 has had some really bad rashes (not frequetn, but when she gets it, it's really bad - another satsuma eater!)

DANCESwithDumbledore Wed 22-Aug-07 21:34:11

Metanium is the business. Bepanthen 'burnt' ds's bottom

macdoodle Wed 22-Aug-07 21:34:32

Canestan 2-3 times a day really nasty ones are usually fungally infected and metanium/conotrane etc as a barrier when change nappies...

daisyandbabybootoo Wed 22-Aug-07 21:39:42

LOL at cruikshanks meringues!

maisiebabe, I was sceptical when my sis suggested it. We were at my parents late on a sunday with no shops open and DS was screaming in pain. It really worked. He was bleeding and sore (neglectful mummy hadn't noticed he'd poo'd his nappy ) and it was nearly all gone the next morning.

marvymoo Wed 22-Aug-07 21:41:14

metanuim, (or similar spelling), was prescribed by my doctor when my db had horrendous nappy rash. Found out afterwards you could buy at most chemists and some supermarkets. Works every time and when nothing else would or worse, caused more soreness. In my case i found that some baby wipes were actually irritating his skin and counteracting the creams benefit. Stick to huggies pure which are just like water and cotton wool, but more convient and less messy. It worked for me and if he ever has the odd reapperance of nappy rash, that cream clears it up in a couple of days. Hope it works for you.

cocolepew Wed 22-Aug-07 22:56:04

Ds2 had terrible nappy rash, turned out to be thrush. Needed anti-fungal cream.

hotchocscot Wed 22-Aug-07 23:24:35

Metanium gets the vote here too. Re the satsuma/tomato thing, apparently if they eat too much acidic food, it makes their wee/poo more acidy and that irritates the skin more. If you can do a day of really bland light food it is supposed to help break the cycle and give the skin a chance to start to heal. Hope she is feeling better soon.

skyatnight Thu 23-Aug-07 00:02:42

Weird - for those of you who swear by Metanium - that was the one that made dd's nappy rash much worse - it looked like it was dissolving her skin. Bepanthen works best on her. I think different babies must have different skin types. Try a few creams and see what works best for your baby.

pastalady Thu 23-Aug-07 00:09:46

Sudocream was the only one to get rid of my DS's horrendous nappy rash when he was a baby. We tried lots of other types, inc metanium, but this one was the only one that cleared it up.

MadAsABagOfFrogs Thu 23-Aug-07 00:54:00

Another vote for the egg white here. Also a couple handfuls of porridge oats in the foot of a sock or similar, end tied off. Popped in the bath as it is running and squeezed out when bath is run. Pop baby in the bath to play. They can even play with the porridgey sock lol. Baby will have lovely soft skin. It's great for mums skin as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now