Talk

Advanced search

Help with Thyroid function test results

(7 Posts)
Ellapaella Wed 04-Dec-19 07:47:39

@DirtyWindow thanks that's really helpful. I was aware I had a high TSH before which is why they did antibodies this time but I wasn't sure if these were raised or normal. I have absolutely no symptoms so hoping that they'll just keep an eye on it as I don't fancy having to take medication unless I really have to.

Thank you everyone for your replies.

OP’s posts: |
DirtyWindow Wed 04-Dec-19 07:27:47

@Ellapaella I am not a doctor but having thyroid problems myself, from memory:
TSH should be under 4.2, so yours is too high
FT4 should be between 12 and 20 something, so yours is OK
Antibodies should be under 50, which suggests that your immune system is attacking your thyroid (hashimoto's).

It's not a big problem (unless you're pregnant or have any other conditions I guess) - they'll probably just put you on a small dose of levothyroxine.

One thing to note - if you are TTC then you need to keep your TSH even lower (under 2 I think) - sometimes gps forget this or don't ask if you are TTC.

Hope that helps. Don't panic!

Minxmumma Wed 04-Dec-19 07:10:04

Ask the receptionist for the reference ranges. Your TSH looks higher than it should be which can be an indicator of hypothyrpidism and antibodies can also indicate autoimmune hypothyroidism.
This is a fairly useful page

www.btf-thyroid.org/thyroid-function-tests

Ellapaella Tue 03-Dec-19 18:23:46

Thank you for your reply. I can't find the normal reference ranges for antibodies but I got the impression from the receptionist who gave me the results they were raised.

NaToth Tue 03-Dec-19 13:37:24

Without the reference ranges, it's not always clear what's going on, but it looks to me as if the figures you have auto-immune hypothyroidism.

It would be worth doing some reading up before you see the GP.

Ellapaella Tue 03-Dec-19 10:57:22

Sorry that should obviously say antibodies not antibiotics!

Ellapaella Tue 03-Dec-19 10:56:40

Is anyone able to help me with my thyroid function results? I've had a call from the doctors surgery to say the GP wants to discuss them with me but she's not available for two weeks. I have tried google but can't find anything helpful with actual normal or abnormal ranges.
TSH is 7
Free T4 is 12.8
Antibiotics are 116

I have no symptoms as far as I'm aware of hypothyroidism, I had a TSH of 12 detected 3 months ago on a routine blood test.

Many thanks in advance!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in