Talk

Advanced search

Blood in urine - can this wait till tomorrow?

(18 Posts)
HolyMotherForkinShirtballs Sun 01-Dec-19 13:53:02

Hello. Just had quite a lot of blood in urine (bright red). This follows from a couple of weeks of on/off cystitis symptoms (following a bath with too much bath salt added hmm).

I'm not feverish. Main other symptom is burning feeling when pee and constantly feeling I need a pee.

I expect I need to see someone, but can it wait for regular gp?

Thanks all

OP’s posts: |
VaggieMight Sun 01-Dec-19 13:59:36

If no fever or other symptoms I would wait until tomorrow.

HolyMotherForkinShirtballs Sun 01-Dec-19 14:03:29

Thank you. That's what I want to be told. Cannot face walk in centre...

HolyMotherForkinShirtballs Sun 01-Dec-19 14:04:13

Is it usual to have substantial blood with cystitis? Never had it before....

changeforprivacy Sun 01-Dec-19 14:18:50

Call 111 and see what they say. I wouldn't be ignoring a substantial amount of blood in urine.

CharlotteFlax Sun 01-Dec-19 14:20:42

Can you try and get an out of hours GP appointment through 111?

Monday in winter is not a good day to try and get in at your usual GP (cos everyone is having the same idea as you - leave it till after the weekend)

Dora26 Sun 01-Dec-19 14:22:01

Make sure you have a mid stream sample (MSU) when you go to dr - preferably first morning wee. You will get a sterile container at any chemist

Nogodsnomasters Sun 01-Dec-19 19:08:58

Blood in urine usually means the infection has travelled from bladder to kidney. Did you receive treatment for the off/on cystitis the last few weeks or leave it untreated?

If you're not feverish you could risk it and wait til the morning for an emergency appointment but you literally could become feverish suddenly at any time so it's your own risk I guess.

My adult niece just finished 4 days in hospital on iv antibiotics, fluids and painkillers from a kidney infection. She'd been given antibiotics for a uti but they didn't work. Symptoms were blood in urine, pain, fever, vomiting, slight dehydration.

MustardScreams Sun 01-Dec-19 19:11:52

Oh I wouldn’t leave it, blood in urine usually means the infection has spread to your kidneys and it is a bitch to clear if you don’t get treated for it.

My cousin recently got sepsis from an untreated UTI and was on life support as her organs stared shutting down. Not to terrify you! Just to make you aware it can have dire consequences if left. I’d call 111 tonight and see what they say.

Srictlybakeoff Sun 01-Dec-19 19:13:29

You can get a lot of blood in your urine with a uti. Do you have any back pain or feel feverish. That would be a more worrying symptom.
If you phone the out of hours service they mat prescribe some antibiotics over the phone .

justbeingelle Sun 01-Dec-19 19:15:21

I wouldn't leave it, it sounds like it might have spread to your kidneys which is really dangerous. Phone 111 tonight.

HilaryBriss Tue 03-Dec-19 13:52:12

I had this last week - I phoned my GP and wasn't able to get an appointment but they called me back later that morning and diagnosed me with a water infection and prescribed antibiotics over the phone. I was advised that if I felt feverish, started vomiting or got back pain then the infection had travelled to my kidneys and I should visit A&E. Otherwise the antibiotics should clear it up in a day or two (which they did).

HolyMotherForkinShirtballs Wed 04-Dec-19 13:14:22

Hello all.
Thank you all for the advice. I was about to call the doctor (partly on your recommendations!) but it all just stopped the next day - no more blood, no more pain 🤷. Strange after such obvious blood in urine, but glad it's gone.
So I suppose I should mention it to the doctor at some point soon to check, but for now I feel fine!

Thanks again

Alrighteo Wed 04-Dec-19 13:16:45

Sometimes it can be very concentrated urine that looks a blood colour.

HolyMotherForkinShirtballs Wed 04-Dec-19 13:20:03

Thanks @Alrighteo. Pretty certain this was blood - large bright red streaks. But that's useful to know.

VaggieMight Wed 04-Dec-19 13:54:48

@HolyMotherForkinShirtballs I also had very obvious blood in urine for two days then it stopped, I didn't get it check out either. I'm having other health issues at the moment but I'm going to mention this to my GP and have a blood test. I've left UTIs untreated in the past and became pretty ill from it.

HolyMotherForkinShirtballs Wed 04-Dec-19 15:01:14

Hi @VaggieMight, thanks for the reply.
Sorry to hear about the health issues. Hope things work out ok. I'll let you know what my gp says when I mention this to her.

VaggieMight Mon 09-Dec-19 01:55:33

Hi @HolyMotherForkinShirtballs just popping back to mention that I've been tested for UTI and kidney stones and both tests are negative. I definitely had bleeding from my urethra though, I was surprised that I didn't have a UTI but glad I've been tested. I hope your tests go well.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »