Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

cystitis.....OUCH!

(12 Posts)
tyeanddye Tue 21-Aug-07 21:19:52

antibiotics not working,neither is cranberry juice!!!any ideas?

Beauregard Tue 21-Aug-07 21:27:32

aw poor you !
Get yourself some Cystemme from the chemist,always worked for me.
It is sort of like drinking Bicarb or Andrews in water ,maybe making some up of your own may help.
Keep drinking the cranberry juice and water too.

notnowbernard Tue 21-Aug-07 21:33:05

Water +++

If you've been on anti-b's longer than 2-3 days and thet're not working, you could be on the wrong type. Go back to GP

For prevention in the future, take cranberry tablets daily (can buy them in health food shops). Hope you feel better soon . I HATE cystitis.

quint Tue 21-Aug-07 21:38:43

I know it sounds gross put pee in the shower (or over a bath with a jug of cool water) it really does take the sting out

I know you don;t want to as it will make you pee more but drink as much water as you can as it will flush it out of your system

poor you

tyeanddye Tue 21-Aug-07 21:43:24

its new to me,had a mild dose once before years ago,can stress make it worse?

tyeanddye Tue 21-Aug-07 21:44:14

il get cystemme...anything

Dior Tue 21-Aug-07 21:44:34

Message withdrawn

noddyholder Tue 21-Aug-07 21:45:22

Cranberry is only for prevention not good for cure as it prevents the anti biotics getting into the bladder wall.Lots of weak lemon barley and pee in the bath(sorry)

tyeanddye Tue 21-Aug-07 21:47:15

dont be sorry noddy,lol,im drinking tons of water,but man does it bloody hurt,dread going for a wee!
my dd is prone to it,im not!!!!

used2bthin Tue 21-Aug-07 21:53:02

I had same problem once cos was given wrong anti biotics(the results from the sample took a week to come back so they didnt realise straight away)so agree on going back to dr. I always find just mixing cranberry and water helps a bit and just keep sipping it cos u don't want to over do it and be sick! Sympathise tho, I know how much it hurts!

used2bthin Tue 21-Aug-07 21:55:41

Sorry just saw post from Noddy, I didn't realise that but have also heard you shouldnt drink too much of it something to do with kidneys. I had recurrent infections so was told to have a small glass a day for prevention for future reference!

littleboo Tue 21-Aug-07 22:41:28

need to be drinking at least a glass of fluid each hour
Need to go back to gp, sometimes first line antibiotics do not work for original infection, probably need a different type
Could try potassium citrate mixture from chemist, tastes absolutely foul but does work if not too serious.
need pain killers as well especially until antibiotics have a chance to take effect..... thats about all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now