Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Low iron levels in a 2 year old.

(15 Posts)
Leander Tue 21-Aug-07 12:21:17

This is my second post in health today,its all or nothing with me.
My dd is underweight she has dropped from above the 25th centile to just below the 2nd centile.The gp.hv and myself agreed to send her for tests so she has had a sweat test, liver function, urine and other blood tests, they come back with low iron levels,they did not get enough blood for a thyroid test but but all other tests were ok.She isn't a great eater which is probably the cause of the low iron, docs are giving her a supplment but what foods can i give her to boost her iron?

MamaG Tue 21-Aug-07 12:22:14

green veggies - spinach, brocolli are great

will she eat liver? <shudder>

MamaG Tue 21-Aug-07 12:22:28

remember you can whizz green veggies up in pasta sauce if she won't eat them

Leander Tue 21-Aug-07 12:23:17

She eats broccoli but wont eat cabbage, i am the same as you with liver the thought of it makes me want to puke.

Leander Tue 21-Aug-07 12:24:47

i never thought about adding them to pasta sauce,she loves spag bol so will do this.

saggarmakersbottomknocker Tue 21-Aug-07 12:37:30

My dd has had iron supplements on and off throughout her life. Has he given her Sytron Leander? IIRC it doesn't taste very nice.

Apart from iron rich foods will she drink orange juice as it helps with absorbtion. Look for fortified cereals too.

Leander Tue 21-Aug-07 12:39:09

She hasn't got her script yet got to take her to the docs in the morning, will give her fresh oj aswell, thanks.

SpawnChorus Tue 21-Aug-07 13:26:21

She could have SpaTone now that she's two. It was recommended to me when I was pregnant (and anaemic) and wanted to avoid tablets. It's basically sachets of iron-rich water. It comes from a well in Wales. One sachet contains as much iron as 8lbs of brocolli, but it's v gentle on the stomach. I've been giving it to DD (who is v skinny and a small eater, plus we're veggie).

You get it in Boots or Holland and Barrett.

morningpaper Tue 21-Aug-07 13:28:22

apricots are GREAT -will she eat them? apricot jam?!

dates?

wash down with orange juice for absorption

yum

morningpaper Tue 21-Aug-07 13:29:12

I would check that she is REALLY low though first

you know what these things can be like

what is the normal range for her age? What is the normal range for her WEIGHT? What is her actual iron level?

Leander Tue 21-Aug-07 13:31:19

Morningpaper, I never even thought to ask i just took the hospitals word that she has low iron levels, they said they had faxed a copy of her results to my gp so i will ask when i see him tomorrow.I am not surprised that they are low really as she is such a poor eater.

suzycreamcheese Tue 21-Aug-07 13:37:54

lentils..in soup, stews etc
absorption as mentioned is better with vitamin c..orange juice etc
a good pasta sauce for this is red pepper and parsley tomato sauce iirc..

saggarmakersbottomknocker Tue 21-Aug-07 15:11:27

Mp makes a good point Leander - ask about her 'iron stores' too.

beautifulgirls Wed 22-Aug-07 16:00:41

I second the Spatone water - I have used it too. It's a great iron supplement without many of the side effects of the usual tablets, and east to get kids to take as you can add it to some orange juice - also helps the absorption of Iron too then.

moljam Wed 22-Aug-07 16:04:35

were veggie and am always aware of trying to get iron into dc.so we eat lots of dried apricots either on there own or chopped up and mixed into yoghurt etc and they love fresh spinach,will just eat it from bowl saying like dinosaurs!or we stick in it stuff like sauces!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now