Has anyone here suffered cholecystitis once, and then never again?

(7 Posts)
HorseGallopingOnATomato Sun 24-Nov-19 08:15:41

Can it just be a one time thing?

Symptoms I had: high fever, severe upper abdominal pain and swelling between ribs, confusion and balance issues, fainting every couple of hours. Was treated with antibiotics.

An ultrasound a few months afterwards showed I don’t even have any gallstones now, but I’m so scared of it happening again.

OP’s posts: |
Carrotv Sun 24-Nov-19 13:02:56

Me (I hope) one episode about 3 years ago, absolutely horrible - excrutiating pain, ambulance, a & e, anti biotics, about 2 weeks in bed recovering.

At the time I was very keen to have my gall bladder out but as time passed with no further problems I changed my mind.

I know I'm taking a chance of it happening again though.

HorseGallopingOnATomato Sun 24-Nov-19 15:50:19

Hi, thanks for replying!

Nothing has been said about having gallbladder out and the doctor was very unconcerned and just said “any part of the body can get infected”. I didn’t fit any of the normal Fs for gallbladder issues except Female.

I just feel a bit like a ticking time bomb sad

Carrotv Wed 27-Nov-19 17:48:04

I know it's a horrible, horrible all consuming pain. Seems like a rather blasé reaction from the doc but I've been fine for a long time and I know I've got gall stones - lots!

PixieDustt Mon 06-Jan-20 19:31:54

I've currently got this again for the 3rd time in 2 years. If the antibiotics don't work I have to have it out.

HorseGallopingOnATomato Mon 13-Jan-20 16:33:28

Oh noooo @PixieDustt! I’m so sorry to hear that. Hope you feel better soon!

PixieDustt Mon 13-Jan-20 16:38:13

Thanks! Still a bit tingly! The joys 🙄

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in