Talk

Advanced search

Worried about blood test results

(4 Posts)
bloodtestworries66 Sat 23-Nov-19 22:43:43

I went to the doctor a few weeks ago to see about getting hrt. First blood test showed platelets at 125000, 2nd blood test 3 weeks later showed platelets at 96000. Went on Friday for another blood test - 11 vials of blood taken! Nurse was very evasive about what the tests were for, she said something about my liver but was obviously keen not to get into too much conversation about what the tests were for. Some of them she said weren't in their file - so she had to look them up!
I've made the mistake of googling.

Dr said Thyroid was fine, no diabetes and that hormone levels showed that I could definitely have HRT but would be better to wait until after I got the blood test done on Friday.

Just needed to write this down somewhere. Feeling worried.

OP’s posts: |
Oldmum55 Sun 24-Nov-19 13:02:12

I've got the opposite problem, went for a routine check up and mine are 500000. Again googled it and it say it's now regarded as a marker for cancer! The doctor had said I had this high level before, which I wasn't aware of. Will have to repeat the test shortly.

Dontdisturbmenow Sun 24-Nov-19 14:59:13

There are a number of reasons why your platelet levels are low. It can be marker for liver disease, hence why they have probably ordered advanced tests, but could as well be explained by low vitamin B12 or folate for instance. It could also be due to an infection, one you might not be fully aware of.

It is normal to test further at this point, and it is normal for you to feel anxious. I was in a similar position two years ago when the menopause hit me, different markers but some worrying symptoms and my GP was worried enough to order some advanced liver tests which all came back perfectly normal.

It turned out to be low B12 and the fluctuation in my hormones causing havoc. The anxiety around it all was awful, so I fully sympathise.

bloodtestworries66 Sun 24-Nov-19 20:10:04

Thank you both for answering. Calmed down a bit now! Will just wait and see. Nothing else for it smile

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »