Talk

Advanced search

Constipation from antidepressants

(6 Posts)
isthisevennormal Wed 20-Nov-19 10:15:32

Hi,

I’ve recently started taking venlafaxine extended release tablets and have noticed a few side effects, including dilated pupils which make me look like a stoned alien, trouble peeing but worse of all constipation. I’ve never experienced constipation like this before, it is so uncomfortable. I’m hopefully going to get in to see my GP on Friday but does anyone have any tips on how to deal with it. I took dulcolax over the weekend which helped to clear me out but I can’t really do that during the working week. I also don’t want to come off the venlafaxine since it has been the only AD which has helped my mood so far. Help!

OP’s posts: |
isthisevennormal Wed 20-Nov-19 10:16:19

Also, if you’ve taken venlafaxine it are currently on it does the constipation go away?

doublebarrellednurse Wed 20-Nov-19 10:27:56

Lots and lots of fluids are really important with Venlafaxine, at least 2ltrs a day. Otherwise the constipation isn't fun.

Senna at night 7.5-15mg will help move things but if you're not drinking enough it'll be uncomfortable still.

Good luck

isthisevennormal Wed 20-Nov-19 10:48:11

Thank you, I’ve come to venlafaxine from mirtazapine which made me eat loads and now the venlafaxine is making food really unappetising as well as drinking any liquid. I’m going to try and increase my liquids and see if that helps. I’ll investigate Senna too, thank you!

Skap Wed 20-Nov-19 11:31:32

I have constipation caused by a different drug. I had never had this before. I made a few changes which helped but ultimately nothing helped enough and I need permanent laxatives.
Large glass of prune juice every morning 😝
High fibre cereal - all bran plus oats, seeds etc.
Lots of fruit, I have a big bowl of cooked or fresh fruit every day.
Huge portions of veg.
Lots of water.
Any normal person would have diarrhoea but I still need laxatives. For a long time I managed well with lactose but it seems to have started disagreeing with me. Movicol seems "unpredictable" and I'm wary of taking senna long term.

Fishcakey Wed 20-Nov-19 11:43:59

I take Chlomiperamine which does the same (but it's better than the anxiety/stress related diarrhoea I always had before). I eat weetabix every day and find missing a tablet on a Friday night and having wine clears me out nicely.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »