Talk

Advanced search

How long does it take to stop packing an abscess after draining?

(4 Posts)
FilthyBiscuit Mon 18-Nov-19 23:51:32

I don't know how big the wound is as it is on my back so I can't easily see it, but the nurse at my GP said it was deep. On the surface it was about an inch across.
When I was discharged from hospital I was told I would need to get it packed and dressed for about a week. The nurse on my first visit said it would be more likely 2. It's been 2 weeks now and saw a different nurse today who said she thinks it will be another 2 weeks. Dr Google suggests 10 -14 days are usual.
It's not a problem, it seems to be healing well, it's just I'm having to have it done on work time and while they have been patient so far there are a few raised eyebrows now as I originally said a week.

OP’s posts: |
isabellerossignol Mon 18-Nov-19 23:58:42

I suppose it depends how well it heals as well as how big it is?

I had a pilonidal sinus once that needed packed for about a month. My employers were not sympathetic, but there was nothing I could do about it.

Hope you heal soon.

CrotchetyQuaver Tue 19-Nov-19 00:02:12

Let them raise their eyebrows! Everyone is different and you could have 6 people with the same wound and they'd all take a different time to heal. It takes as long as it takes.
My abscess wasn't on my back, it was top of my thigh, I think they wanted to keep seeing me and packing/dressing for about 2 weeks.
Any more raised eyebrows, I'd be raising mine back and asking "do you have a problem with me attending a medical appointment?"

FilthyBiscuit Tue 19-Nov-19 00:17:13

I have texts from my GP to prove I have appointments so it's not a problem showing that I am really there. And I went to work the day after the op and panicked as it was draining a lot so showed my line manager, so they know I'm not faking! But yes, raised eyebrows as it doesn't fit the HR narrative of time off for medical appointments hmm

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »