Talk

Advanced search

Hypertension.. in twenties.

(2 Posts)
Lak1115 Mon 18-Nov-19 20:22:26

So.. I am 28 and my Bp is higher than it should be.

No obvious symptoms but was feeling unwell and GP checked it so told me to book an ambulatory monitor, which I had done today. No official results but the readings were particularly high.

It’s High.. family history of blood pressure issues but mainly above 40-50. I feel too young for it.

Had blood tests to check sugar levels, thyroid etc. All fine.

I am under a lot of stress at the minute too..

Suffer from anxiety, am overweight but not terribly unhealthy I don’t think, I am pretty active, complete t-total for 7 years now and don’t smoke. Also don’t drink tea or coffee and don’t add salt to food (but I know I need to check for added salts).

Advice? Will I be given medication or be advised on life style changes? Probably could do with losing 4 stone at least!

OP’s posts: |
Oldmum55 Mon 18-Nov-19 20:34:58

Lak they will start by recommending life style changes, including weight loss if you are overweight. Good that you don't smoke/drink. It might bring your blood pressure down without the need for medication. Otherwise you will be tried on different drugs at the lowest dosage to start with and followed up.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »