Talk

Advanced search

Bone Loss

(7 Posts)
RedDiamond Fri 15-Nov-19 23:50:19

I wonder if anyone else has any experience of this? I have really dreadful bone loss in my jaw. I have 9/10 for hygiene habits though!

About 3 years ago I hurt my neck and went to a chiropractor who took x-rays of it and was amazed that I had not been in a car accident or had whiplash and said my neck looked like the age of someone 25/30 years older than me.

Last year, in a freak accident, I broke my thumb. It got caught in a piece of rope that was snatched unexpectedly.

Years and years ago, I stopped drinking milk, having any dairy products because dairy/cheese/cream used to make me feel so ill, so I cut it all out of my diet. I eat it now, very occasionally as in if I go to someones for dinner, I don't refuse the meal because it has dairy in it.

If you were me, would you ask the GP if they could arrange blood tests for calcium levels? Would you ask for a scan to check bone density levels? In fact, what would you ask for? I am really, really, not wanting to lose my teeth or put up with so much pain.

I don't know what I can legitimately ask the GP for.

OP’s posts: |
Redact Sat 16-Nov-19 09:23:44

@RedDiamond after breaking my leg twice, in bad falls, I was referred for a bone density scan to find out I had osteoporosis in that particular leg. I was in my early 40's. If I were you I would make an appointment with my GP and explain your concerns and request a bone density scan if they think it is appropriate.

Since the results of my bone scan, it has made me very careful, I take care when walking, especially if it's frosty or icey outside. I've stopped ski-ing, scuba diving, etc. However, I still run and walk as these impact sports are good for bones. Good luck op

RedDiamond Sat 16-Nov-19 09:36:40

@Redact thank you. I am really wondering now if there is something going on with my bones. I think I will see if I can get an appointment with my GP and see if he will order a scan. It's quite frightening knowing your bones in your jaw are going so I think I need to at least rule osteoporosis out.

slartibarti Sat 16-Nov-19 09:44:00

Scary to be told you're losing bone. Did the dentist give you any advice?
I had bone loss on one side of my jaw, found on routine dental x ray years ago. Dentist said it could have happened a long time ago as a result of tooth infection, poor hygiene in childhood etc.
Had another x ray a year later and it wasn't any worse. Now I just have the routine x rays every 2 years and been fine.

Bettertobehealthy Sat 16-Nov-19 11:22:42

hi OP
here are a couple of thoughts... which might be of interest/useful.

The fact that you have bone loss/fragility, might be down to lack of bone mineral deposit , as you have thought. This could be due to lack of calcium. Lack of calcium can be due to low vitamin D levels., It can also be due to low calcium intake , such that you are unable to absorb enough from your bowel. This could be due to low intake i.e. dairy free, it also could be due to low VitD. To maximise our ability to regulate the absorption of calcium , we need a vitamin D level 80 or above. IF you are on a low calcium diet , you might not be able to absorb enough. If your vitamin D is low you might not be able to turn up the absorption rate , as your need. ( i.e.regulate )
IF you are not absorbing enough calcium , your PTH hormone rises , and instructs the kidney to make more vit D hormone , in an attempt to increase your calcium absorption from your food. IF there is not enough calcium in your food , then the PTH level continues to rise , instructing your bones to donate calcium to your blood. In order to do that , they break down the bone structure , to release the calcium. NOW , in this case , your calcium level in your blood , will rise to normal , i.e. where it needs to be , to keep your heart muscles, nerves all working correctly. It is very unlikely that your calcium blood serum level will not be normal. Your PTH level might be raised , in order to keep your calcium normal. This is a common reason for osteopenia, osteomalacia, and osteoporosis. ( Not the only reason ).

Knowing all that , it might be prudent for you , to get firstly a vit D level , a PTH level and a calcium blood level. Amongst any other test you may undertake. yes , and also bone density.

IF your calcium blood level comes back above normal, then it may be that you have hyperparathyroidism.It is unlikely ...but still possible. This condition tends to suppress vitamin D in the blood. It also raises the PTH hormone above what is necessary , leading to bone loss , as described above. That is why the combination of calcium and PTH and VitD tests , will help eliminate these conditions from your consideration.

You should know, that vitamin d levels of just 50 , are considered sufficient , in many parts of the NHS , even though 80 has been shown , by the latest research , to be the level at which calcium regulation is optimised. So, if I was you , assuming your calcium blood level, is normal, and you don't have hyperparathyroidism , then raise your vitamin D level to 100 , or a bit above. This is still well within the NHS guidelines for blood levels.

Best of luck ,
just get back to me if you need any more info. I have posted quite a bit here on Mumsnet , about Vit D , just search my nick.. !

BTBH.

RedDiamond Sat 16-Nov-19 12:41:50

@ Bettertobehealthy Wow! Thank you so much. I am working at the moment but when I get home, I will re-read what you have written and get it into my brain.

I have this morning bought Vitabiotics Osteocare (Original) tablets as my Mother suggested it would not hurt to start taking these.

I also had very funny kidney readings last Summer and the GP took 3 loads of blood until they were satisfied that the level was "normal" so maybe I ought to mention that as well when I see them.

I also bought brocolli, cheese, yogurt & milk in order to start trying to help myself.

@ slartibarti I have had dental CT scans taken and had periodontal treatment. I am cleaning my teeth like nothing on earth. I have an appointment with the dentist on Tuesday morning so that they can give me a detailed treatment plan. This is the second dentist I have visited, as I wanted a second opinion, as my original dentist wanted to take all my teeth out and give me implants. Having seen the second dentist's own hygenist yesterday, she said my cleaning was excellent and along with her results, the CT scans and the treatment plan, there might be a way of saving my teeth for a few years.

When I get blood tests done, dentists report etc I will have to make an informed decision as to the way forward.

RedDiamond Sat 16-Nov-19 12:43:04

@Bettertobehealth @slartibarti I put spaces after the @ so it won't have flagged up properly hence this second message.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »