Talk

Advanced search

Insomnia, could it be certain foods?

(3 Posts)
nellyitsmeagain Wed 13-Nov-19 12:01:21

After my second bout of insomnia this week I'm looking for reasons - I know if I'm stressed about something it will affect my sleep - but I'm not really that stressed. My brain seems to whir and I can't seem to relax and I start thinking gloomy thoughts and worrying about everything and anything

It seems to be connected to what I eat and I wonder if this happens to anybody else. I've been keeping a record to try and find out the triggers to then avoid - it seems to be highly flavoured or processed food, I avoid takeaways especially Chinese for this reason. Sunday night I had shop bought steak and kidney pie for dinner and I couldn't sleep, where usually I drop off as I'm reading in bed. Last night I was the same and I'd had shop bought bread and soup for lunch and chicken stir fry for dinner, and again I couldn't sleep. Does anyone have this?

OP’s posts: |
loveyoutothemoon Wed 13-Nov-19 12:31:00

It depends on the time of your meal and time of bed.
I'm very lucky to be a fab sleeper but I know I can't sleep if I eat too late. I eat my tea 5.00-5.30.

thenewaveragebear1983 Wed 13-Nov-19 12:38:03

I gave up dairy and one of the things I noticed (this wasn't the reason I gave it up) was that my sleep improved- not necessarily getting to sleep more easily but once I was asleep I would dip into deep sleep several times a night rather than just once ( so better sleep quality)

This is according to fitbit, so not an exact science of course but, in 18 months I had never had more than one dip into deep sleep and it would sometimes be only 2/3 minutes a night. I now get multiple dips and sometimes over an hour a night

Conversely, I do find if I eat a very low carb diet I find it very difficult to fall asleep, as if my metabolism is ramped up.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »