Talk

Advanced search

lung cancer referral

(4 Posts)
frogsoup Tue 12-Nov-19 11:44:39

I got a referral to the rapid access hospital lung clinic from the GP a few weeks ago. I think he's overreacting. I coughed up blood back in February and for the past couple of weeks have been having some chest pain and my peak flow is down. That's about it. I'm in my early 40s, have never smoked.

I'm freaking out about how seriously it seems to be being taken. I had a chest x-ray and blood tests last week (fair enough) but now a CT scan appointment has just come through the post!!! I'm panicking that the CT scan is in response to something dubious on the X-ray or blood tests. Can anyone tell me if this is likely to be the case, or if a CT scan would be standard in advance of this kind of appointment (I got referred via the 2-week lung cancer waiting time thingy)? Thanks in advance if anyone has any reassuring info!

OP’s posts: |
digerd Tue 12-Nov-19 18:54:30

What date is your CT appt? When you coughed up blood last February, did you see your GP then about it ?
Low peak flow is usually connected with COPD or Asthma. It is always worrying waiting for CT results but you do not know yet why you are having one. In anycase, it is better to have these investigations sooner than later. You could contact GP and ask.
Good luck.

user1471453601 Tue 12-Nov-19 19:14:52

In my personal experience, a CT scan does usually follow if "something" is seen on the X ray, though, again in my experience, they would normally wait four weeks and repeat the X ray.

I missed the four week wait as if previously had cancer, though it was an unconnected one.

All of this experience of mine is ten years ago, so procedures may have changed.

Good luck, the earlier they catch it, in the unlikely event that it is lung cancer, the better the prognosis.

I'll be thinking of you

frogsoup Tue 12-Nov-19 20:47:52

Thank you for the replies! I went to the GP back when I coughed up blood in February and I had an x-ray then, but there was nothing obviously amiss.
The CT is booked for the morning before the lung clinic appointment, which is mid-afternoon. I can't imagine they'd even get the results though in time? I checked, but the GP hasn't heard anything from the hospital. I'm glad they are being thorough, but it's pretty alarming to be booked in for a scan like this without being told whether it's routine or not sad

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »