Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Can you all do me a favour please and help with this...........

(25 Posts)
UCM Sun 19-Aug-07 01:54:12

Hi,
Please sign this petition urgently as adults (aged over 18) affected by sickle cell disease are not entitled to free prescription whilst people with diabetes, cerebral palsy, cystic fibrosis etc which are also long term medical conditions are entitled to free prescription. It has only 200 odd signatures and we need the rule changed. Black people are not very good at supporting issues that affect us so please please sign!!!!! Thanks.
Shortcut to: http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/RIGHTTOLIFE/?ref=righttolife
(PLEASE copy & paste into your browser)
'People with sick cell disease are not listed on the exemption list to be entitle! d for free prescription. The disease is a long term delibitating condition which create extra financial burden in terms of extra heating, frequent traveling to hospitals, proper diet etc. It also reduces someone employment life if medication is not taken; thus reduces income tax and NI contributions. We are asking for help to enable us live a normal live and reduce NHS admission cost. Including all sickle cell sufferrers with HBSS on the prescription charges exemption list in the next NHS review of summer of 2007? will enhance our well being' - extracted from petition page.

'Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery and Today is a Gift - that's why they call it the Present'

UCM Sun 19-Aug-07 01:55:29

here

MarsLady Sun 19-Aug-07 02:03:16

Signed!

UCM Sun 19-Aug-07 02:03:51

Thanks love.

MarsLady Sun 19-Aug-07 02:04:40

You're welcome!

UCM Sun 19-Aug-07 02:06:16

BF is waiting for a lupus test to come back and I looked through the archives and I know you know someone with it. Ok if I mail you with my friends addy?

MarsLady Sun 19-Aug-07 02:07:15

but of course! I hope she fails the test and that it's negative. lovelymarslady at aol dot com

I'll pass her addy on!

UCM Sun 19-Aug-07 02:08:45

I know Mars, I can't seem to help at the moment, it's all looking towards it.

MarsLady Sun 19-Aug-07 02:10:18

Being there is the most important thing babe! And you're there so don't beat yourself up (I'll do that later) just be her BF!!! Don't let the Lupus define her!

UCM Sun 19-Aug-07 02:13:40

Darling, thank you.

I still want this petition to be tops so will keep bumping

MarsLady Sun 19-Aug-07 02:13:45

Gone to bed!

Email me and I'll put them in touch (when you say the time is right).

<<Mars opens arms and proffers ample bosom to UCM.... a great BF>>

KerryMumbledore Sun 19-Aug-07 03:42:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MarsLady Sun 19-Aug-07 13:28:33

littlelapin Sun 19-Aug-07 13:32:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Desiderata Sun 19-Aug-07 13:38:24

I've just signed, UCM.

GodzillasBumcheek Sun 19-Aug-07 13:44:25

Signed too.

ShinyHappyPeopleGoingNuts Sun 19-Aug-07 13:46:58

People with cystic fibrosis are so NOT entitled to free prescriptions!! COUGH, SPLUTTER!!!! There is a petition on there asking for the very same for CF! It's outrageous.. if a person with CF is lucky enough to be well enough to work, they have to hand over half their wages in prescription charges.. and they take a helluva lot more drugs than people with sickle cell.

My sister has sickle cell disease.. and my son has CF

GodzillasBumcheek Sun 19-Aug-07 13:51:57

Really? Is there a petition for Cystic Fibrosis too? I will happily sign that one too...the whole situation with repeat prescriptions is unfair. It's like another tax where the people who need the most help have to pay the highest amount.

PestoMonster Sun 19-Aug-07 13:52:28

I've signed too

3andnomore Sun 19-Aug-07 13:57:06

signed

3andnomore Sun 19-Aug-07 13:59:19

Shiny have you got your link?

Also, not that this is the answer, but there are ways to cut costs if you need a lot of prescriptions...i.e. you pay for a pre paid prescription certificate....I know that when I needed a lot of prescriptions when my Eczema was really bad, it really saved em some pennies...

ShinyHappyPeopleGoingNuts Sun 19-Aug-07 13:59:28

It's here re cystic fibrosis.. petitions.pm.gov.uk/Cystic-Fibrosis/

Sorry for jumping in with this UCM. The petition re Sickle Cell is perfectly valid too.. my sister pays out a lot of money. But adult CF sufferers pay out more

ShinyHappyPeopleGoingNuts Sun 19-Aug-07 14:00:53

True 3 and, pre payment certs do cut cost. But it simply isn't fair that diabetics for instance get their insulin free and other suffers of diseases for which their meds are literally keeping them alive are paying through the nose

ShinyHappyPeopleGoingNuts Sun 19-Aug-07 14:02:52

The labour government promised to abolish charges to CF sufferers before they got into power. They have not kept that promise. And I doubt they will now purely because Gordon Brown's son has it and there would be an outcry.

CountessDracula Sun 19-Aug-07 14:07:00

I won't sign this
I have asthma
and Crohn's disease
Both of which are long-term diseases and there is no cure.
I have to take billions of drugs for these and they don't give me free prescriptions!

If you have a lot you can get a pre-payment certificate which equates to a tenner a month, not much to keep you alive really. If you are on benefits you get them free anyway don't you?

did you know in Wales all prescriptons are free from 1 April 2007? look

Should we not be aiming for this rather than specific exemptions?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: