Talk

Advanced search

Anyone had an acoustic Neuroma?

(7 Posts)
Canthearathing Thu 07-Nov-19 10:55:52

2 weeks ago I had a sudden loss of hearing in one ear whilst at work.

Saw my GP who prescribed a high dose of steroids. Hearing continued to deteriorate and some facial numbness started so I went to the emergency room (we are ex UK so not under the NHS).

Saw an ENT and neurologist.

To cut a long story short - ear and sinus are physically fine, no viruses found in bloods.
But a hearing loss of 45 decibels.

The Emergency room have scheduled an MRI with contrast for this week to check for an acoustic neuroma (benign tumor between the middle ear and brain).

Had anyone else had one?
Did you need surgery or gamma knife treatment.

DaysThatEndInWhy Fri 08-Nov-19 13:44:05

Strange, I was just googling acoustic neuroma having had my diagnosis this morning, and this came up!

Mine is currently 2cm and the consultant said it would be a case of monitoring with annual MRI scans. He said the surgical options are very risky and invasive and they don’t like to go down that road unless absolutely necessary. I was told though that it would make a hearing aid less effective which is a shame because when i was diagnosed with straightforward SSHL, I was told a hearing aid could restore my hearing to what it was.

Hopefully you won’t have a neuroma. I gather they’re pretty rare. Good luck with your MRI flowers

Lovingmylife Fri 08-Nov-19 21:12:09

My friend had one surgically removed. It was a success and she said worth sacrificing the hearing in that ear.

DaysThatEndInWhy Fri 08-Nov-19 22:35:06

That’s really interesting Lovingmylife

I’m guesssing your friend went down the
translabyrinthine route, which I suppose by that point isn’t really a ‘decision’ as such. It’s reassuring to know that it can work out to be the best option.

SwedishEdith Fri 08-Nov-19 22:43:33

Have you been offered a steroid injection in your ear drum? Sometimes (most times?), they simply never know what caused the hearing loss. It may be a neuroma but they're very rare.

This might be useful.

www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/hearing/shl.htm

Canthearathing Sat 09-Nov-19 15:40:34

Sorry to hear you had one confirmed days.

The MRI came back negative which I am glad about but there is still no answer as do why I have the symptoms.

I will have a second mri of the ear for them to get a closer look at that. I have already had one injection through the ear drum and a second one is scheduled. The first one does not seem to have made much difference.

So the wait and mystery goes on smile

Canthearathing Sat 09-Nov-19 15:46:39

Thanks for link Swedish. Blood tests have ruled out some of those but think it is worth discussing the others with my ENT next time.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »